My goal lately has been to workout 4-5 days a week. I usually plan not to workout on the weekends because we usually end up being lazy and if I plan not to workout then I make sure to get a workout in everyday during the week. This week I skipped on Thursday and Friday so I wanted to make sure to workout both yesterday and today. Yesterday hubs and I went to our local gym and I spent 70 minutes on the recumbent bike. I have a lot of reading to do for my courses, so I like to kill two birds with one stone. I finished up Lies My Teacher Told Me and got in a good hour+ of cardio as well. My husband took a look at how far back I was putting the seat and recommended that I adjust it farther back, so I wonder if sitting too close has caused my knee to bug out?!
I just finished Shred level 1 with Jillian and I am happy to say that my knee felt really good today. I did make sure to be extra careful with my form for both the squat press and the lunge with bicep curl because doing exercises improperly can certainly lead to knee pain or injury. I also went really light on weights for the multi joint exercises because, even though my knee is feeling good right now, it has been bugging me a lot lately and I don't want to do anything to elicit more pain!
I guess I have been doing a few things differently, so maybe that is what is making my knee hurt less. I have been drinking one can of this stuff everyday.
We used to get it at Costco and we had an extra case that got shipped along when we moved. It contains glucosamine which is really good for joint health.
"Glucosamine helps provide the building blocks for healthy cartilage and maintain structural integrity of joints and connective tissue." *source*
I am not sure if drinking this really has an effect on my knee, but unfortunately we only have half a case left and once I run out I won't be able to get anymore. Each can has only 25 calories and it tastes fruity and delicious. I never got around to trying to find fish oil caplets, so for now the JJ will have to do.
I have been wearing my orthotics all day everyday not just for workouts. No matter what pair of shoes I put on, I put those inserts inside because I know they are helping my feet which therefore should help my knees.
I am also planning on incorporating some pilates into my workout routines a few times a week. When I was consistently doing pilates (twice a week for an hour), I was in the best shape of my adult life. That was a few years back when I was recently dumped and 21, but I think pilates exercises are great. I am especially interested to incorporate some pilates because I feel like the exercises will be less stressful on my knees. I have this Winsor Pilates Sculpting Bun & Thigh DVD which I really like.

The whole routine takes about 20 minutes. It is all mat work which means none of the exercises are weight bearing. I still want to keep up the rigor of my workout routine without as much stress on my knee.
This week is fall break, so I don't have to go to work! I have tons of papers/things to work on for my doctoral courses though, so I am sure it will be a busy week!


5 comments:
I'm not really good at working out, and haven't even been walking lately, except for the daily walking I do in my school building, but I like reading all of your posts.
I will look for the Joint Juice. I think my whole family and I could use it!
I was wondering,
Would you want to try a Pen Pal project between our students?
Pilates is definitely good for the knee! The bike DEFINITELY could be an issue with your knee, I'm still not convinced it did not cause some of my knee problem, especially if the seat is not right. Hopefully your husband adjusting it will help.
I have been really wanting to try Pilates out but not sure where to begin. Advice? Wait till you get to Level 2 of Jillian's Shred. My favorite for sure...
Loved Lies My Teacher Told Me. Very interesting read.
Biking on bikes that are not fit for your body can do more harm to your knees than good. Be careful. Glucosamine is really good for your joints. I started taking Glucosamine suppliments daily about a couple months ago, along with my daily multi vitamin and fish oil!
I HEART PILATES and need to get back into it... :)
Thanks so much for the nice comment on my blog!
I may have to try this Joint Juice as my knees really hurt when I run too. Thanks for the tip!
Post a Comment