Wow. That is just about all I can say. Wow.
(Hey all you elementary teachers...what book is that from??)
The school where I worked back home forbade any Halloween costumes involving weapons, blood, violence, or gore. This year, they decided to forego costumes altogether as part of their decision to not celebrate holidays at school.
My new school. Total opposite. Let me paint you a picture.
This morning, the students arrived in their costumes which were a mixture of blood, violence, gore, death..all those fun things. The principal enters the third grade classroom dressed as Dracula with fake teeth and fake blood dripping from his mouth. The children, very excited by his costume, shouted out his name, "Mr. L!" Then he said, "I am not Mr. L. I killed Mr. L and drank his blood and now I am looking for more!"
Then the kids all carved pumpkins with the knives they brought in their backpacks from home.
Yup. Knives in backpacks. Kids having knives at school.
A little bit different than home...

6 comments:
WHAT! Knives in backpacks!!! Are they ASKING for it?? That is INSANE.
That is a little crazy but I am sure the kids loved it!! At the school where I did my student teaching the principal dressed up as the grin reaper. He is a really tall/big man and stood out in the front of the school as the kids were coming on to school one Halloween. I was shocked when I realized it was him!! He was truly a sight and the community seemed to LOVE IT!!
Do they celebrate Halloween in
Germany the week before do?
Oh and I am not sure where that quote is from!! Remind me!!
Wow, that's quite different then here. Most the schools around here have the same policy that your old school did. Although I think some did forgo the whole Halloween Parade thing last year, meaning that there was no dressing up, but some celebrating.
And I'm pretty sure that quote is from Lily's Purple Plastic Purse. Am I right?
We celebrated yesterday because next week is Fall Break so it was the closest school day to Halloween before going into November.
Morgan-you got it! Lily's Purple Plastic Purse!
I am in shock! I can NOT believe they brought knives to school, plus I cannot believe that the principal spoke like that to the kids.
Violence is such a reality here where we live that we have to be really careful.
We DO love Halloween here, though!! Can't wait!
So enjoy your blog!!
I can not believe that they allowed the students to bring knives into school. That would be unheard of over here. A few weeks ago a students got suspended for bringing a new camping utensil that functions as a spoon, fork and knife to school.
I do love Halloween and think it is great when students are able to dress up and celebrate with friends in school. It is a nice little break for them and allows them the get excited about something different going on for that day
Post a Comment