MckLinky Blog Hop

During my time at Villanova University, we hosted Special Olympics for the state of Pennsylvania. The entire shebang was student planned and operated and it is one of the most memorable parts of my college experience. There is nothing better than the hug you get from an athlete who just won the gold and spending time with those heartwarming athletes is one of the reasons I wanted to pursue a master's degree in special education. At one of our meetings prior to the event, someone read this story and I swear, there was not a dry eye in the entire room!

And they call some of these people "retarded".

..A few years ago, at the Seattle Special Olympics, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100-yard dash. At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with a relish to run the race to the finish and win. All, that is, except one little boy who stumbled on the asphalt, tumbled over a couple of times, and began to cry. The other eight heard the boy cry. They slowed down and looked back. Then they all turned around and went back......every one of them.

One girl with Down's Syndrome bent down and kissed him and said, "This will make it better." Then all nine linked arms and walked together to the finish line. Everyone in the stadium stood, and the cheering went on for several minutes.

People who were there are still telling the story.
Why? Because deep down we know this one thing:

What matters in this life is more than winning for ourselves.
What matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course.

And now that I've got you all weepy, I will make you *smile*
My sister-in-law takes monthly photos of my niece on the date she was born. I just about fell over when I saw this pic because I can't get over how CUTE she is! It's like she already knows she is supposed to smile!
LOVE IT!!!

MckLinky Blog Hop

6 comments:

Suburban Hooker said...

That is how it should be!!!
I wish I could say I was more like those children. I would rather make it better than win a race!! Great post!!

Leah said...

What a beautiful story. Special needs is very close to my heart, and that's wonderful that you plan to pursue a masters in it.

Laura said...

I love that story. I've heard it before but it still makes me teary.

eager2teach said...

Hey there! I know it's been a while, but I just wanted to thank you for the Bloggy Award!! I haven't had a chance to actually respond, but I want to know that I always love reading your comments on my blog because they are always so encouraging and insightful! Thanks! By the way, I've still got my fingers crossed for the job!!! Best of luck!

maddie/cadesmimi said...

What a nice post, I enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

The toilet is overflowing - that is adorable. I love that story, too.

I wanted to say a big THANK YOU for the award! I read it that day, but for some reason, my computer wasn't letting me comment at that time. But I appreciate it very much!!

Have a good one!