For the love of Ikea

Hubby and I made yet another trip to Ikea today to get some artwork for our walls. Ikea is a staple in Germany not only for furniture, but all kinds of home decor, bedding, and kitchen supplies. It is close, not too expensive, and has tons of stuff to offer. Considering this is a temporary home for the next 3 years or so, I feel like I get to care a little less and have a little more fun with our choices. Here are some of the pieces we got today to brighten up the place and make it look a little more "decorated."

This will go above our bed in our "master" bedroom. I put master in quotes because it's not all that big and does not have a bathroom directly attached to it, but Germans don't really do the whole master bedroom thing. They are all just bedrooms, or zimmers. Our sheets are light green as is the quilt that I have draped over the bed, so I thought this print would look nice and coordinate with the green in the bedding.

This one will go above our couch in the living room. We have mostly neutral colors in there, chocolate brown leather sofa, dark wood TV stand etc, but we both liked it (which is rare) and it reminds me of CT where I grew up.

This photo did not come out that great because of the glass in the frame, but this one is going in the hallway over a small shelf (which will house some of hubby's shoes). I am hoping to set up an entryway table of sorts where we can leave keys so the hallway is not entirely long and empty.
It is a series of pen and ink animal prints done by Picasso. I like the simplicity and it reminds me of kid art, which I like.
Here are a few close ups of the animals.
I wish I had decorating "skills," but I really don't. I definitely like everything to be organized and because of that I don't have too many decorative items out and about in the rooms. I think I need to fix that, but like I said, I don't really have to much of an eye for what looks good, goes well together, or makes a profound statement of style.

Any tips for making a place look homey but not cluttered?

3 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

I love Ikea mainly cause it's the only option no Target or Home Goods! Love the Picasso prints very nice.

Kelly said...

The nearest Ikea is kind of a hike for me but I wish it wasn't. I have NO tips on the decorating front, I feel like you are further along than me and I've lived in my house for almost a year now, ooops! I like things to be cleaned and organized but I don't care too much what is on the walls...I like nice stuff I just never use my time to put it up haha

Julianne Hendrickson said...

Good for you, girl! I wish I had cared less in our first apartment (that we knew was temporary)--I had to get rid of a lot of stuff that didn't go with the house. Smartie!