
Today's Theme for Friend Makin' Monday is..
What are you going to be for Halloween?
For the past two years, my first grade team and I dressed up as Crayons. We made the costumes ourselves and since they took a lot of time, we felt completely fine with the idea of repeating the costume usage year after year. Each year the kids thought they were fun and it was easy for us too! When I moved away, I left my blue Crayon costume for the next teacher because I felt it belonged with the group. Since I was moving to Germany, I figured I would not be dressing up this year since Halloween is an American celebration.
Well...I was wrong! Apparently my new school has a large celebration with "trunk or treating" (parents drive their cars onto the field and kids get to stop at each trunk to get treats) and pumpkin carving. Who knew!? Also, my old school has apparently decided to no longer celebrate any holidays so there will be no dressing up this year...I am really bumming that I didn't snag my Crayon outfit! Given that we just completely weeded out our belongings in order to move from a house to a small apartment, I have NOTHING fun or creative to use for a costume!
Sure, maybe I can go to a store and buy a costume, but that pretty much leaves me with the sexys. What do I mean by sexys? It seems like the only costumes available for adult women commercially are sexified versions of everyday occupations or characters. I could be a hot nurse with a short pleather dress and red hooker shoes, or a sexy pirate with torn clothing and exposed mid-drift. Now I may sound like a total boob, so let me just say I am not against being a little sexy. Who doesn't like to feel sexy? I am just not enthused with the fact that most creative ideas are thrown to the wayside in order to follow with this trend of spending Halloween dressed as the slutty version of something normal. I mean...sexy Hermione? C'mon!
Maybe when going to a party with friends those are fun choices and I might even dress up in that way in that situation, but I have to choose a costume appropriate for school....which means I have to be creative and kosher...and I've got nuttin'
Last year we went as nerds
The year before that we went as a bride and groom because we were newlyweds, but I was the groom and he was the bride. Those pics are scary!
So...this year, given the clothes/items I have to work with, I am going to be a tennis player. With a tennis playing husband who works at adidas, I have my fair share of tennis outfits and tennis shoes, so that is the best I can do! I guess I could try to add a little humor by being Roger or Rafa, but I will probably be a girl tennis player because I don't actually play, so I have to use the outfits for something!

9 comments:
You guys make such cute nerds. =) I like the idea of tennis players.
I LOVE the idea of "Trunk or treating"!
I can't see your page because of the background??? I'm sure it's cute though.
That sounds like fun!! Good luck with your costume!
Cute crayons and bummer that you didn't get to keep your color.
I agree about the womens costumes being sexy...aghhh!
The tennis player is a fab idea!
Happy FMM!
The crayon idea is super cute! And I love the tennis player idea especially because I play tennis! But in case you want other school appropriate costumes for the future, here's a discussion on the topic:
http://www.teachhub.com/discussions/discussions-details/1/80
Happy "Trunk or Treating"! :)
I hate the selection of adult women costumes too. Some are funny but most are ridiculous or maybe I'm just old.
The crayons were very cute and that's a great idea about a bride and groom and getting to re-use your veil.
Thanks for visiting my blog. I like yours, am following and looking forward to reading more.
Love your pictures! So cute!! At my school we have a literacy Parade where students come dressed as their favorite story book character! It's a way to make Halloween educational!! Not sure what I am going to be yet! I need to figure it out SOON!!!
I wish we could dress up for Halloween at my school. They consider costumes to be a "distraction to the learning process". BOO...no fun! I love dressing up. I agree that all adult costumes seem to "sexified" now though.
P.S. My name is Yasmin :)
What a cute idea, crayons! How fun! Love the idea of being a tennis player!
Post a Comment