Sub for 1/2 day

Today when I arrived at work, I headed to the classroom that is on my schedule for the morning. The teacher pointed next door and said that the other teacher needed me because she was having an emergency. Luckily, it wasn't anything bad, but she needed to get back to her apartment asap because the service man who was supposed to come next Thursday to hook up her internet was actually coming today between 8 and 12. It was already almost 9 at that point, so she needed to try and get home quick so she wouldn't miss the chance to get her internet hooked up.

The school that I work at is accommodating to stuff like this. Especially, if there is a classroom assistant that can cover for the teacher. Well..I should say, at least if there is a trained teacher as the assistant, which I am! There are no substitute teachers, but the principal or the trained assistants can cover in the event teachers need to be absent for part or all of the day.

So the teacher left and I got to be in charge. Oh, I can't tell you how good it felt to be in charge! I am not on a power trip, just a teacher who misses doing just that....teaching....leading....being responsible for the whole group at once. It was a pretty easy 1/2 day. The students had English for the first hour which consisted of a grammar page, a journal entry, and silent reading. Then after their morning snack/recess break, they took a math test. Then we had a class meeting during which we talked about not touching other students' belongings when some of them switch to the other room during German class. Since that didn't take too long, I had them respond to the writing prompt: One day, when I arrived at school, I noticed all of my school supplies had gone missing! They enjoyed doing some creative stories about what happened during the night that cause the supplies to go missing. I made that part up because the teacher said to have them silent read, but most of them had already spent quite a bit of time silent reading after completing their math test and I didn't want the natives to get restless.

For all of my teacher readers... What is it about your favorite substitute teacher that makes them your first choice when you have to be away from your classroom?

6 comments:

itsawrap said...

So many factors:
The teacher needs to be competent in the subject area I teach: Math. I want them to be able to follow my lesson plans and not make changes to it. Follow my directions, they are there for a reason. They maintain classroom discipline without antagonizing the kiddos. Don't sit at the desk, play on the computer, and allow the kids to do whatever they want.

Julianne Hendrickson said...

Woo! I would say the most important factor is not straying from the plan. And, not piling my desk up with work that isn't organized. If I left how to grade, they can grade it and put on stickers and group them with paper clips...wheee!!

Nicolasa said...

It definitely feels good to be in the teaching role when it is something you've missed!

I love subs that do exactly what I have written out for them because I spend so much time organizing, copying and planning and I get really upset when the subs don't do what I ask them. Also, being able to maintain my classroom without straying too far from how I would do it- and the subs in my school know that I run a tight ship in my room! :-)

Meredith said...

I have a favorite sub who keeps the class in order without being too mean. She also teaches the lessons that I have prepared. I also love her because she leaves my room neat. I had one who left it trashed.... paper on the floor, chairs all over the place. It was not a great impression the next morning.

teacherwoman said...

I have been fortunate to work with the same students this year as last. With that, my favorite substitute has built a great rapport with the kids from day one, and even when she's not subbing for me, they get excited when they see her on the hallway. Anytime I let my kids know that I am going to be gone, she is the first one they ask for. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to got to be in charge! I remember that feeling when I subbed.

For me, the sub needs to able to teach what I leave so I don't have to catch-up when I return. I am also a bit compulsive with organization, so I like the subs to leave the room somewhat organized, and leave notes/papers in a logical place, and an orderly way. I also have one sub that grades things for me so I don't have to do it when I return - and that is just awesome!