It's finally here!

After being in Germany for three months, and living in our apartment for over a month with a "temporary" kitchen consisting of a mini fridge and two hot plates, I am proud to introduce my new
kitchen!

I had absolutely nothing to do with the selection of this kitchen. Our landlord picked everything out prior to our renting the apartment, so I am really happy that it came out looking as nice as it does! For some reason my husband thought it was going to be blue, and given some of the crazy kitchen colors at Ikea, and Germany's obsession with Ikea, I was a bit nervous. The kitchen actually did not come from Ikea, which is good because they came and went in one day and spent about 8 hours on the installation which would have been longer had it been from Ikea.

The one thing I am nervous about is that there is no backsplash and with me being the messy cook that I am, I guarantee there will be some tomato sauce splashage on the walls before I know it. We also don't have a freezer. The fridge is pretty small, but at least there are drawers underneath so it is elevated a bit higher. Crouching down to access the fridge for the past month was not fun. I am debating if we really need a freezer because we haven't used one for the past three months, but we have room for a free standing one if we decide we can't live without.

We still have to figure out what we doing with the other side of the kitchen because our table is in the other room. I would like to get another piece for storage because right now all those cabinets are full of dishes and bakeware and I need somewhere to put food! We had just put a nice new walk in pantry in our house in Portland and we also had a big cabinet in the kitchen with pull out drawers. It was fantastic. I need something like that again!
Hubby and I will probably hit up Ikea tonight to look into some storage solutions. I have gotten almost everything put away, but my tupperware still needs a home and so do all our bottles of wine and alcohol.

I can't wait to cook in this new bad boy, but I am too tired from a hard day of watching men install the kitchen, so I am thinking I will wait tomorrow and have my first baking debut in the kitchen with some of my girlfriends.

11 comments:

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

I love your kitchen, Katie. Dinner will never be the same at your house!

You did a really good job with it - I like the bits of "German-ness" and American goodness. Thumbs up!
Katie

Amber Filkins said...

Yay! So excited for you! I cannot imagine going 3 months without a proper working kitchen. I am so excited for you!

Beth P. said...

Hooray! Looks great! I'm glad they did a great job and were out of there so quickly.

Julianne Hendrickson said...

pretty!! very nice..great work! i cant wait to see what you decide to cook first :)

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love your kitchen! It is so hard getting used to tiny kitchen and little ovens and so on. I love ice cream too much to be without a freezer. Have fun cooking your first meal in your new kitchen.

Leah said...

The kitchen looks great! It must be such a relief to have it in. :-D

Nicolasa said...

Wow! they did a great job! I am so happy for you!

teacherwoman said...

LOVE the kitchen! It looks so nice and fresh.

Kelly said...

I love your kitchen! Looks great and so exciting that you finally HAVE a kitchen, you must be so happy.

Also I just read your post below and I laughed so hard. It must be a teacher thing cuz I love stuff like that. I was at a professional development thing the other day and the teacher started talking about using small post its to flag different sections and you'd like my friend and I were 6 year olds at Disney World. Too bad I don't use all my organizational systems...

Jordan23Shoes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Karin Katherine said...

It does look nice. I'm so happy for you that it turned out. Cannot wait to read what you are cooking up in there. I'm sure it will make me feel oh so guilty about what I am not cooking up in my new kitchen.