The flu has hit our quaint little apartment in Germany. Yesterday my husband came home from work feeling awful and has pretty much been horizontal and wrapped in blankets since. We both went to bed really earl (for a Friday night) and I was really hoping that a good night's sleep would result in a happier and perkier hubs.
Not so much.
I love my husband and I would do anything for him. In fact, I always do lots of stuff for him. He is one pretty lucky (and pampered) guy. I wouldn't say that I wait on him hand and foot, but I would say he is decently spoiled....So considering that I often bring him something to drink while he watches tv or make him a snack, it's funny that I get so anxious when he is sick.
Maybe it's because sick grown men turn into such babies when they don't feel well! Ok, I guess I can't speak for all grown men, but I can speak for my grown man. I am used to taking care of him, but when he's sick, his neediness definitely kicks up a notch and I feel like I am running around doing all sorts of things for him. This morning I went to the apoteke (pharmacy, but it's a separate store) to buy a thermometer. The lady, who thankfully spoke English and was so nice, told me that if his temperature was higher than 38 degrees Celsius that means he has a fever. He was 37.4, but when we converted that into Farenheit it was 99.3, which I would definitely consider a fever. I guess with this bout of the flu, higher than 39 means a high enough fever to merit going to the doctor?
The doctors are not open on the weekends so she gave me the address of a weekend emergency clinic, but she said the wait would most likely be quite long. Thankfully, my husband had a connection through work, so he was able to score some Tamiflu from someone who had the flu last week. Yes, I know that you should not use prescription meds given to someone else but in this case, I think it is worth not waiting at the doctors office for hours just to get the same thing.
So after I got the thermometer, I hit up the grocery store and got apple juice, orange juice, tea, honey, soup, water, hand sanitizer, bread, and butter. My hubby always requests cinnamon toast when he is sick because that was what his mom gave him when was sick as a kid. It always makes him feel better, so I did my best to pan fry the toast because I don't have a toaster.
We just got the medicine from his friend, so hopefully that helps him to feel better. He is worried that I will catch it...and so am I! When he is sick, he gets waited on, yet when I am sick, I somehow end up still having to do a lot of things for myself. I really don't want to get sick for my second week on the job either! Even though it's cold out, I have all the windows open in the apartment because it gets so stuffy in here and I can just feel all the germs festering if there is no fresh air.
The flu sucks!

5 comments:
There is definitely something icky going around.
My grown man is definitely a baby when he gets sick too. When I am sick, I curl up in a ball and want to be left alone. Opening the windows is a great idea. I sure hope you don't get the flu, and that your hubby feels better soon.
Haha! I was JUST telling my sick husband about 30 minutes ago that he's kind of a whiner when he's sick. Like he wants everyone to know he's sick and refuses to even pull a smile out. Poor... miserable... husbands. Even worse, we're in Amstedam right now and have to drive 3 hours back to our place in Germany tomorrow!
I hear you girl!
Oh no! I hope he feels better soon. Drink lots of water!
The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.
Thanks
Post a Comment