Hats and Slippers

Last night my husband and I went to an anniversary party for one of the teachers at my school. They rented out a room at a local pub and a wonderful gathering of teachers and friends ensued. When we got there we quickly noticed everyone sporting newspaper hats. The rule was, if you were wearing a homemade hat, you got free drinks. The party host, who is one of our IT teachers, brought several different sets of directions for making origami hats. I wish I had my camera because there were so many creative pieces of artwork on the heads of those party guests. Put a bunch of teachers together and I guess you have a really creative bunch!

I was thinking how much kids would love an activity like that. I have only ever done origami frogs with my first graders, but they LOVED it and I had kids making frogs for weeks afterwards, using any scrap of paper they could find.


My husband made this crown.


Origami Crown Print


I had a variation of this hat.


By the end of the night, I ended up in this silly hat which looked like a knight's helmet. We got a lot of strange looks on the walk home, but it was a really fun night.

***

Anybody else think these slippers from Gap look absolutely delightful??? Germans wear house shoes, so I have taken to wearing slippers all the time now. I am thinking I should definitely get these when I am home for the holidays.
Which color is your favorite?
I love the white but I think they would get dirty.
I think my next fav is red.
Can't you just picture having these babies keeping for feet toasty while you enjoy some hot cocoa by the fire????

5 comments:

Karin Katherine said...

I vote for the dark chocolate brown ones. They look rich and inviting and will hide dirt much better than any of the other colors.

Beth P. said...

Those slippers look so comfy! They certainly look like they keep your feet nice and warm.

What a cool idea to wear hats for drinks! i bet at the vvery least they provided ammo for good conversation! I like the crown and agree that students would love that!

Formerly known as Frau said...

What a fun night. I like the green slippers!

Mr. Halpern said...

Um, paper hats equal free drinks???? I might have to hop on a plane to Germany! Glad to see I'm not the ONLY one posting pics of myself in silly paper hats...

http://halpey1.blogspot.com/2009/11/paper-hats-and-five-year-olds-really.html

Kelly said...

Oo I want those slippers...do they come in pink?

At the end of the school year every year I "count down" the end of school with my K kids. Each day is a letter of the alphabet. Letter O is always Origami and the kids LOVE IT. Like you said, they continue to make everything for weeks to come. Some of them have taught me how to make some stuff haha