Bilingual students

Students from all over the world attend my school. There are about 40 different student nationalities which means the students speak a lot of different languages in addition to English. English is the language of instruction for most classes and students also study German as a second language (or first for some) and Spanish is offered in the upper grades.

On several occasions, I have heard teachers tell students to speak in English when they are using their native language (most often German) in the classroom. They are told that it's ok to speak other languages at lunch or recess, but that only English should be used in the classroom. I am fairly certain, but not positive, that this is a school policy.

I am torn.

English is the language of instruction, therefore it is the "common" language among all students and staff. When it comes to equal access for understanding documents and school business, it is reasonable to have one language selected as the primary language to be used because it would be quite difficult to get all documents and all information translated into 40 or so different languages.

I do, however, think that telling a student not to speak their native language is not okay. If a student is using his/her native language, chances are the language is being used to negotiate meaning or to help another student who is less proficient in English. I don't think either of those reasons is unacceptable. The ultimate goal is education and if using a second language can help students to comprehend better and make deeper connections, then by all means.....Native languages are a very significant part of who the students are. They are languages most likely spoken at home, with family members and grandparents. They represent some families' home countries, their origins, their roots, and their traditions. Who am I to tell them to turn that off? Knowledge in one's native language can be transferred to a second (or third) language, yet in order for that to happen, the native language cannot be suppressed or shunned, especially in the environment where learning takes place!

Each time I hear a teacher requesting that students use "English only," I cringe a little big. I know some teachers feel threatened when students communicate with each other in a language that the teacher does not understand. In certain circumstances, bullying or negative scenarios could be happening without the teacher's knowledge. It seems, however, at my current school, the insistence on English only is because it is the rule.

I just don't get why it's the rule. I feel like the wealth of languages and cultures should be embraced always. If a student says something in German or Japanese, or Italian, rather than tell them not to, I would want to ask them about what they were discussing and how it helped them to better understand what was being taught. It's not like students are refusing to speak English at all, simply that every once in awhile they might like to turn to their neighboring student and make a comment in their native language. Is that so bad?

What are your thoughts? Should students be able to use their native languages in the classroom if there are other students who speak the same language or is it okay to insist students speak English only?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

While I agree with you and have similar experience from teaching at an international school in Costa Rica, I know that it is good to encourage students not to constantly code switch. This may be the thinking behind the rule.

Formerly known as Frau said...

My daughter goes to an International School and one of the main reason's it's important to only speak English is because the exams for IGCSE and IB program are in English and they have Orals also. Our school is not a true International school there are a lot of German families that send their children there to learn English better. I think it divides some kids I know my daughter feels left out when people around her are having conversations she can not be a part of etc..

Kelly said...

At my school I get a lot of kids who speak different languages, often not the same language as each other. Even when I have had kids who speak the same language they rarely do unless I specifically ask them to in order to explain something to each other. Personally I don't think it has to be a rule, I know I myself would really need some English if I was suddenly thrown into a new language.

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

As a teacher from the U.S., I agree with you. BUT, I am living in Germany too, and have spoken to other teachers at the high school (gymnasium) level who have issues. When teaching English in school, students often lose what they've learned quickly because they aren't using it. Example: As soon as they walk out of English class, they begin speaking German. (Think back to your own experiences in language courses. What you don't immediately and often use, you lose and it sets you back) But... yes, I think culture and language should not be lost and that it is valuable in settings with students to help one another and process in their own language. Where's the fine line and where should the happy medium be?

eager2teach said...

Like you, Katie, I often cringe when I hear those "English Only" comments in the classroom. It seems like in your case with English being the language of instruction, students know that they are expected to learn and become proficient in English. I, however, believe that we are asking students not to be themselves when we make it a rule for them not to use their native language. I also think that teachers may discourage students speaking in their native languages because they are insecure about not understanding what their students are saying. Their is richness in "code-switching" and it actually shows that students are managing both languages well when they are able to navigate freely between them.

Katie said...

Oh my gosh, I agree with you 100% - how can the students process the information they are learning if they don't have all their native vocabulary to describe it, mull it over, connect it to background knowledge, etc? Seems almost impossible to learn something completely without using at least a little bit of their native language.