PaperPaperPaper

Nothing much to say today besides that I am trying hard to get my 20 page research paper completed this weekend. I have a little over 13 pages done at this point, which is good, but I am struggling to find the motivation to do the rest. I am getting anxious about the thought of turning it because I heard from other students in the program that they always thought they were good writers until the began the doctoral program. Apparently, they really give your stuff a beating in order to demonstrate the high standards of academic work at this level.

Fun times.

It's hard to just turn something in without having any feedback along the way. I have spoken to my advisor about the topic, but he has not checked in on the written part at all. I guess my best is all I can offer and if I end up with not great feedback, I still have plenty of program time left to improve.

The paper is due the first week in December (can you believe that is next week already!?) but I am hoping to turn it in at the end of the week as opposed to the beginning. That is just satiating my stressed mind right now because that gives me 7 days instead of 3.

Blogging is so much easier than research papers!

3 comments:

Nicolasa said...

While I don't have a 20 page paper to do, I do have a 10 page paper due the first weekend of December as well. I am in the same boat as you are as far as the feedback goes. Good luck getting yours done.

I'll be working on finishing mine up tomorrow.

Blogging it SO much easier than research papers!

Kelly said...

Ugh- sometimes I hate the academic world, I feel like if you really want your students to be the best writers you need to read their writing from the beginning of the class and offer feedback and ways to improve rather than just tearing it apart at the end.

It's really sad to me that higher education that teaches teachers can be such terrible teachers themselves! What if I just didn't teach my K kids how to read at all and then said to the parents at the end of the year- ugh they are just TERRIBLE readers...Good luck!

eager2teach said...

Good luck with your paper...I have been procrastinating with my last few homework assignments for my methods courses. They aren't due for another couple of weeks, but I wish I had the motivation to do them and be done...unfortunately, I don't!! I've got my fingers crossed that I will get the drive to do it!