
Today I noticed that 4 out of 6 students I worked with are left-handed. I looked it up and I found out that about 1 in 10 people are left-handed, which means that the lefties I teach are over represented among students in my caseload. I started to wonder if there is any significance behind the large percentage of lefties among my SPED students.
What do you think?
Are you a lefty or a righty? I'm a lefty!
Does your "handedness" indicate anything about your learning style?
Do you think handedness is correlated with brain functioning??
I also came across this interesting list of ways that lefties have to deal in a world made for righties....
- We have to use special "lefty" scissors.
- We write from left to right, so that our hand smears the fresh ink across the page. (Righties' hands do not touch the ink until they get to the next line, so the ink has a few seconds to dry.)
- If you grab a coffee mug with your left hand, the picture will be facing away from you. (Righties get to look at the picture while they drink.)
- Lefties have little choice where they get to sit at large dinners, lest they bump elbows with a righty.
- Lefties have little choice where they get to sit in lecture halls. Often the only left-handed desks are on the end of the row. Lefties can't sit in the middle, unless they want to have a hard time writing.
- When writing in a 3-ring binder (or spiral notebook), the rings get in the way of our hands when we write on the front side of the paper. (Righties have this problem when writing on the back of the paper, but this is easier to avoid.)
- Many "commonly" used keys are on the right side of the keyboard. For example: backspace, enter, arrows, and numeric keypad.
- Computer mice are generally set up so that the "main" button is the index finger for righties. If you want to use the mouse in your left hand, the "main" button is under your less-adept ring finger.
- Bike gears are on the right side of the bike. This means that if you carry the bike on your right shoulder, the gears face outward. If you put the bike on your left shoulder, you'll get grease stains all over your clothes.
- Bike helmet chin-strap buckles are easier to release with your right hand.
- Hand-held jigsaws blow sawdust off to the right side. If you hold it in your right hand, it blows the sawdust away from you. If you hold it in your left hand, it blows sawdust in your face.
- Drill presses have the handle (to lower the drill) on the right side. It's impossible (and dangerous!) to try to hold the wood with your right hand while controlling the drill with your left hand.
- Lefties have to get their own "left-handed" boomerangs, golf clubs, hockey sticks, and baseball mitts. This means we usually can't borrow our friends' equipment.
- Car stick-shifts are on the right side of the driver. Less frequently used controls, such as headlight switches, are on the left side.
- High-end headphones (with only one cord) have the cord on the left side. The cord gets in the way more for left-handed writers.
- BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) entrance/exit gates take the ticket on your right side.
- When pants only have one back pocket, it's always on the right side. (Lefties have to fumble around for their wallet with their "bad" hand.)
- Mini propane camping stoves are designed so that you can hold it with your left hand and pump up air pressure with your right, even if the stove is still hot. It's hard to hold it with your right hand and pump with your left hand without burning your right hand.
- Piano keys are arranged so the more rapidly-changing higher notes are played with the right hand. For beginners, the base clef (left hand) is often optional.
- Camera shutter buttons are often on the right. Pressing the button with our less-dextrous hand makes it harder for lefties to hold the camera steady while taking a picture.
- "Ergonomic" chairs usually have the controls on the right side.
- When holding a pen or pencil in your right hand, you can read any lettering on it, but in your left hand, the lettering is upside-down.
Thoughts?

8 comments:
What an interesting post! Since I am a righty, never thought about any of these "things" lefty's have to deal with!
I'm a lefty also, and so is my boyfriend (we find that funny). But I'm really more ambidextrous. I can do most anything with my left or right, but writing is still best with my left hand, which is why I consider myself a lefty.
Interesting list! I am a lefty and proud. :-D
I'm a lefty too! Great list...my BIL is a Dentist and also a lefty he had to order special left handed equipment cause everything is for right hand people. I can do a lot with my right hand except writing.
My 6 year old son is a lefty. I taught him how to use a righty mouse for the computer though. I remember his preschool teacher telling me that he needed to work on his cutting. I asked if they knew which hand he used to cut with at school as he was left handed. Come to find out he was trying to use his right...they gave him left handed sissors and encouraged him to use his left hand...as opposed to the ones they say you can use in both...and he was much improved. Interesting.
My husband is a lefty and so is his brother. I have 3 lefties in my class right now. It is so interesting to read about!
When hubs and I go out to eat he always sits to my left.
Katie, I believe there have been some studies out there about left handedness and learning disabilities- I believe there is some kind of correlation. I'd have to look it up again to be sure.
Not to mention all the other barriers you listed!
Just found your blog. I'm a lefty as well and that list hit every point. Pretty cool. Maybe it's time we start a revolution. LOL
Post a Comment