Back to Work

I actually went to work today! After last week's incident of being sent home due to being exposed to the flu via my sick husband and then a 4 day school closure, it feels like a long time since I have gotten down to business.

My Monday schedule is jam packed with 5 45-minute sessions in a row. I have two periods in my friend's 3rd grade classroom, which I love, and I also work with a group 5th graders twice in both their English and Math periods. Throw a little 8th grade Algebra in there and that is my morning. After a 45 minute lunch break, I work with a 4th grader on reading and writing.

Although I loved being a classroom teacher, I am also finding that I love being a "specialist" and only working with a few students or one student at a time. I can really get to know their strengths and weaknesses in order to help them be more successful in school. I get to dabble in many different grade levels which is very helpful for getting a perspective on what students are learning at various grade levels and how much progress certain students need to make. I never had that broad perspective before.

Without being "pushed" into a different teaching environment (by moving to Germany for hubby's job), I never would have voluntarily switched from teaching first grade. I always chuckled when I received the district transfer form which gave teachers the option to change positions if they wished to because I felt putting that paper in my mailbox was a complete waste. I would never opt to switch. I was so happy with my team and my little first grade space, that I never considered other opportunities.

I never thought I would work with middle school students.
I never thought I would work in special education.
I never thought I would leave my previous school.
I never thought I would like anything else besides what I was doing.

I was so wrong.

Change is very hard. I never want to make a change to something I am happy with.
I am a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" strategy and I like to do something to the point that I get really good at it instead of trying something new and having to experience a new learning curve. I am always reserved and worried about all the stress that comes with being new at something.

I am starting to realize the merit in opting for something new and different. In my current position, I am learning a lot, I am broadening my teacher horizons, and I am gaining useful skills that diversify my teaching abilities and make me a better all around teacher.

I am happy to be teaching in this new environment.

I like middle schoolers.
I like teaching special education.
I like working at an international school.

I am not ready yet to say that I will actively seek out big changes in the future, but everything seems to be working out.


2 comments:

J.J. said...

Awesome that you feel that way! I am a church youth director...well was before I had kids, and I love middle schoolers, too!!!

Nicolasa said...

I have only worked with middle schoolers outside of school in an after school setting and I enjoyed them. At times they were nuts, but that is to be expected after a full day in school.

I am so glad that you are able to see that not all change is bad! I am happy that you're so happy!