
So far I am four days into my 30 Day Shred challenge.
I have some thoughts.
1. I can't imagine doing the same workout routine 10 days in a row! First, I don't think it is beneficial to work the same exact muscles day after day without an opportunity for rest. I have tried mixing up the weights so I am not lifting the same amount each time, but I am still working the same muscle groups over and over and that seems counterintuitive.
2. I have only done level 1 four times so far and I am already getting bored with the same exact exercises day after day. I am pretty sure going one level at a time is the intent of the workout, yet for me, it just doesn't work!
3. I don't think there is a sufficient explanation of the intended process, but I feel rest/recovery days are important. Is the goal really to complete the program for 30 consecutive days or are rest days supposed to be included? None of that is really clear from the information provided on the box or by Jillian....She also does not give any info on how much weight should be used for various exercises. I can lift 15 pounds for chest flies, yet I can barely manage my tiny two pounders for the lateral arm raises. Shouldn't that be discussed? Especially for exercise newbies!
4. I need a little variety in my life! I think I am going to switch it up just a bit and alternate levels from day to day so that I am not doing the exact same thing for 10 days before going to the next level. I want to make sure I am working different muscles while giving other muscles time to recover. The challenge is still on, but I am not doing it just for the sake of doing it, so I need to make it work for me! I may include "rest days" where I just do cardio or maybe nothing at all. I don't want to damage by body in any way by doing this, so I am adjusting as I see fit.
Also, I wore high heel boots to work yesterday and somehow managed to really hurt my left foot! I did the shred last night anyway, but my foot is still hurting today. I would never recommend to anyone to exercise or continue pushing while injured, so I may do pilates today instead of the Shred just so I am not putting too much strain on my foot! I know all my healthful bloggy readers would fully support that choice!
I am still going strong (3 whole days!) without diet soda. I like to count days and keep track because the higher the number gets, the less likely I am to break my streak. I did the same with avoiding sugar/sweets last year and I was well over 100 days, but then Valentine's Day happened and so did chocolate consumption!
And here's a funny little workout inspired cartoon for November!


7 comments:
Wow, you are really motivated. I love that cartoon!
Yea, I did get kind of bored after day 5 with the same thing. What I ended up doing was running one day, shred the next, run, shred, rest, repeat.
Good Luck!
When I did the Shred last February, I had the same intentions as you; do each level for 10 days. It didn't take me long to realize that this was not going to work, and I ended up doing about 7 or 8 days of each, with about 4 complete rest days in there!
I loved the Shred video, but I think I will take it out everyonce and a while when I need a 30 minute workout video and don't want to go to the gym for a run, swim, or bike.
I definitely don't do it 30 days in a row b/c you will get bored. I switch it up with her cardio dvd and the treadmill with yoga mixed in. Take a rest and recover first though.
Okay I'm going to look for it here at Saturn this weekend! Hope your foot is better are you icing it?
Wow your blog is SLICK. I have blog envy for sure. Awesome content too - I'll be coming back for sure. :)
http://halpey1.blogspot.com/
Yeah I never did the shred 30 days is a row- I like variety and I believe in rest days, just my opinion.
Post a Comment