I love this week's theme for my Global Literature Class. We are reading different versions of Cinderella from around the world. So fun! There are tons of versions and I wish I could read them all. Unfortunately the school library had none of the options, so I had to order a few from amazon.com. I got Yeh Shen: A Cinderella Story from China and The Korean Cinderella. We are supposed to read three different versions, but the library did have one called Rough Faced Girl which is a Native American version that my teacher said I could use even though technically that is multicultural literature and not global literature. I was even thinking that children in the classes I am working with just might have some of these different versions since they are from many different countries. It would be fun to ask them to tell me the versions they know!

1 comment:
I'm so excited because I just got a new computer. My old one wouldn't load your blog so I could read you on my reader but couldn't leave comments. New computer seems to be handling your blog just fine :)
Love different Cinderella tales! One year when I had a super international class we retold the story of Cinderella going around in a circle with everyone adding a part. It was awesome to hear each child add their version of what happened next in the story based on the story they'd grown up hearing. The kids from India all knew the same story and were confused why our story was different than theirs- it was a great lesson in compare/contrast in both literature and in culture.
Post a Comment