Originally posted August 12, 2010
Which Way to the Beach?
Not only do I wish I were at the beach today because it is gray and rainy out in Germany, but I finally decided what my classroom theme will be and the winner is....BEACH THEME! As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I spent a LOT of time yesterday on the internet looking for ideas and making lists of what I need to buy/print/organize/put together next week. I only have three days left in Germany, can you believe that?! I am so ready to hit the ground running and hopefully jet lag will not interfere. Last time I flew to Cali I was totally fine, it was just the return that killed me for about two weeks.
Back to the beach, I have been trying to decide on a classroom theme for awhile now and I started looking in the direction of the zoo which intermingled a lot with wild animal and safari themes. As I was looking, I came across some really cute decorations that sparked my interest in a beach theme. I did some shopping at Oriental Trading since they have fun, cute decorations that are pretty reasonably priced and I found some good stuff.
I am picturing the balloon lanterns hanging above the tables because I like to assign each table group a color and I already have rainbow colored material bins, so I typically use rainbow colors anyway. I am not sure if the janitor will allow that, but I am going to try! I think the beach ball string lights will go along the top of the whiteboard, but I don't think I will actually use them as lights, just decoration. I will find a place for the big sun, probably in the area where I do whole group lessons. I was thinking of incorporating some ocean/fish stuff as well to go with the beach theme (maybe for attendance and/or bulletin boards). I have to see what materials I find at the teacher store when I get back. I also want to use buckets for supplies like in the picture above, but I will get more beachy buckets instead of metal ones.
It could be cute to use something like this Popsicle for attendance. I usually have laminated names with magnets on the back so the kids can move their names to sign up for their lunch choices. My Kinders won't have lunch at school, but I do want them to be in charge of "signing in" daily when they arrive. If the popsicles were on magnets they could move their pops to indicate they are present. I need to do more thinking on that...still not sure where I want to go with it.
The ideas are still coming together, but I am glad that I at least have some semblance of a plan. Also, the bee folders actually still coordinate quite well because there are always bees as the beach! I am excited to get working on arranging and planning out my room. I know I will need restraint to not start decorating right away, but I need to be a planner first once I see the room and think through everything before I start moving stuff. I will definitely post pictures of the room and the progress once I get started! If you have any ideas or have done the beach thing before...I am all ears!!
Back to the beach, I have been trying to decide on a classroom theme for awhile now and I started looking in the direction of the zoo which intermingled a lot with wild animal and safari themes. As I was looking, I came across some really cute decorations that sparked my interest in a beach theme. I did some shopping at Oriental Trading since they have fun, cute decorations that are pretty reasonably priced and I found some good stuff.
I am picturing the balloon lanterns hanging above the tables because I like to assign each table group a color and I already have rainbow colored material bins, so I typically use rainbow colors anyway. I am not sure if the janitor will allow that, but I am going to try! I think the beach ball string lights will go along the top of the whiteboard, but I don't think I will actually use them as lights, just decoration. I will find a place for the big sun, probably in the area where I do whole group lessons. I was thinking of incorporating some ocean/fish stuff as well to go with the beach theme (maybe for attendance and/or bulletin boards). I have to see what materials I find at the teacher store when I get back. I also want to use buckets for supplies like in the picture above, but I will get more beachy buckets instead of metal ones.
|
| That's cute! |
![]() |
The ideas are still coming together, but I am glad that I at least have some semblance of a plan. Also, the bee folders actually still coordinate quite well because there are always bees as the beach! I am excited to get working on arranging and planning out my room. I know I will need restraint to not start decorating right away, but I need to be a planner first once I see the room and think through everything before I start moving stuff. I will definitely post pictures of the room and the progress once I get started! If you have any ideas or have done the beach thing before...I am all ears!!
Life's a Beach!










No comments:
Post a Comment