Picky Picky

Do you remember that was the name of Ramona Quimby's cat? 

Ok, that was totally random. 

Onto the point!

Let's play a game...

what's wrong with this picture? 


don't blurt it out right away, I want everyone to think about it...

think time....think time....think time

Ok. In what Common Core Kindergarten world is a ball an example of a circle? 

Kinders these days develop and very sophisticated understanding of 2-D versus 3-D and therefore they are quite familiar with the term sphere. (well who am I kidding, many of my kiddos point to a sphere and say circle), BUT I certainly don't want to encourage this confusion by posting a picture of a beach ball next to a circle as if the former is an example of the latter. 

Why couldn't they just make it a clock? 

Do you ever wonder who makes educational materials? 
Did a teacher seriously design this? 

My other pet peeves are "teacher" fonts with a and 4. That's not how we teach the kids to write them, so why would I want to display anything in my room with letters and numbers that are different than what we use! 

What is your teachery pet peeve?

3 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Yup, also when they have a 1 like this- get so annoyed when the kids try to write it that way. So much easier to just make a line haha.

Also, I was doing a 3d shape thing last year where there was a similar example- as you said many of the kids confuse it already so why add to that!?

Ms. Lopez said...

The number 9!!!! Grrrrr....

Kathy

Denise said...

Picky Picky! I LOVE the Ramona books! I still read a couple of them every year; my husband mocks me. So sad when he died :(. At least his death brought Ramona and Beezus back together after the "Pizza Face" incident. But I digress...

Yes, I hate things like this! Right now what's getting on my nerves is what I have to go through to get rid of ridiculously old textbooks. I have a set titled "Contemporary Living" that's copyrighted 1990. Sheesh!