Reads

I completely fell off the wagon with reading from the list of top 100 novels because as the school year came to a close, I needed to return the piles of books that I had borrowed from the library. I started so strong often reading 2-3 novels a day, but towards the end I started a few that I never even finished (gasp!). I didn't make it through the Borrowers or Ramona and Her Father. It wasn't at all that I didn't like these books, I just couldn't get through them in time and decided to take a break from the list. When I get access to the library again in August I will start up again, but for the time being I am enjoying some big girl books.

I read House Rules by Jodi Piccoult and I loved it. The story is told from the perspectives of many characters, but the main character is an 18 year old boy with Asperger's who is obsessed with forensic science. His fascination and detailed knowledge about crime scenes leads to him being arrested for the murder of his tutor who is found dead in her home. I really like how autism/Asperger's is explored in the book and thought that for the most part the depiction of the autistic character was very well done.

I also started reading The Essential Guide to Selecting and Using Core Reading Programs and I LOVE it. I am only two chapters in, but there is so much fantastic information that is absolutely perfect for the research direction I want to take with my dissertation. I feel like I am getting a really solid background on core reading programs which will ultimately help me be a more effective reading teacher when I use the program adopted by my district in the future.

Tomorrow afternoon we are leaving California and heading to Connecticut to spend some time with my family. I am SO excited to see my parents and my brother and his family! I am also excited to catch up with US Weekly (my mom always saves the recent ones for me when I come home). I am interested to read the recent articles about the breakup between Vienna and Jake....

One of my favorite things about summer is how much time I have to read.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I love that about the summer too! I just read House Rules too and I'm glad you liked it- I heard some that didn't like it. I wasn't my favorite Picoult but I definitely did like it. Have you read "American Wife" yet because I definitely recommend that.

On the kids book notes our blogger book club at http://hotpinkvixen.blogspot.com is reading The Secret Garden this month :)

Anonymous said...

Happy late birthday!! I hope you had a fabulous time!

I also love reading in the summer - it's so nice to have time to just sit down and get lost in a book. (Or a magazine...) Have fun in Connecticut!

Teachingeasyas123 said...

First off, happy belated birthday. Ia m so pleased to find your blog through the link on the "Untenured Teacher" blog.

I love that in summer we actually have free time to read books. I realized this a few weeks ago, went to the library and loaded them in my bag. As teachers, we sometimes lack the time to sit down and read a book for pleasure and forget about the joy of reading that we are trying to foster on our students.

I must admit I am a fan of Sophie Kinsella (of the Shopaholic series.) I just finished her book, "Twenties Girl" and it was really good for a few laughs!

Robin @ teachingeasyas123.com