A few weeks ago, I participated in a webinar that I thought was really interesting based on this book about using core reading programs. We were able to view a power point presentation and listen to the voice of the presenter as he talked about his research on the effectiveness of core reading programs and how they should be implemented for the best results.
I received an email the other day that the presentation was available for download and I wanted to share it because I thought that it contained some good information.
You can download the presentation materials here (right side underneath photo of book cover) or you can view it through my scribd account.
Core Reading Webinar
I also wanted to point out these articles relating to fidelity:
- McGill-Franzen et al. (2006)
- Dewitz, Jones, and Leahy (2009)
- Brenner and Heibert (2010)
- Piasta, Connor et al. (2009)
Also, I really liked the 10 points about using core programs well:
- Create a literate environment
- Read extensively outside the basal (yes!!)
- Differentiate instruction
- Modify the scope and sequence as needed
- Use children's literature for read alouds (wahoo!!)
- Develop more prior knowledge than the program suggests (especially for students from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds with value placed on hearing their ideas and not looking for prescribed answers from the book!)
- Select vocabulary carefully
- Be more explicit than the program suggests (includes teaching students the strategies, when to use them, how to use them, and why they are important)
- Developing guided reading lessons
- Use core assessments selectively (amen!-- it was discussed during the webinar that IRI's are a great source of information about reading skills, therefore it is a good idea to choose assessment materials carefully and based on what truly helps to inform your instruction)
I really recommend that you take a look at this information because it really helped me to gain a better sense of what elements from core reading programs are really important and which ones are better off left out.
From the other Kindergarten teachers I will be working with next year, I found out that we use Fast Track Phonics more than Treasures which is the program my district has adopted. I am happy about that and I hope to utilize some of the points listed above to create a solid overall program that gets kids excited about learning to read and proficient in their beginning skills.


1 comment:
Oh man I totally blame my wedding for why I'm so behind on your blog- yet again I have a million things to say.
#1- I think you will love kindergarten or second grade so whichever way you go I think is okay. I personally love kindergarten because there is a HUGE change from the beginning of the year to the end (personally I think it's more than second grade and probably more similar to grade 1). I also love being their first introduction to elementary school. I actually had the choice between 2nd and kindergarten when I first started teaching and I choose K because the job was in the district I wanted. The thing about grades is that I think most of the time it's more about the class/parents you get. Some years I've been jealous of our second grade buddies teacher, but this year her class was miserable and my kids were keeping them in line- so who knows!
#2- I don't blame you on the whole goodbye thing. I usually get teary saying bye to my kids but try to hold it together. This year was harder for a bunch of reasons, but including the fact that one of my kids (who has a tough home life) burst into tears and said she wanted me to come home with her this summer and go to first grade with her. That was really hard to hold it together for! Goodbyes are tough!
#3- I am definitely going to check out that core reading program link. I agree with all the aspects that you mentioned go along with a core reading program, but I also feel like- why not just use programs (like the phonics one you mentioned) and piece everything together as a good teacher. I see no reason to use a basal to teach comprehension when there are so many great books out there to choose from, same with vocabulary. We use a program for phonics which I think is helpful, but I don't see the need for a core program. I also like how they say you have to read outside of the basal. Obviously, but why waste the time reading inside the basal? It's really unlikely for teachers to have time to read "extensively" outside the basal if the basal is occupying a few hours of their day!
Whew- I think thats all I wanted to say lol
Post a Comment