***
Today I discovered a really great resource that I just have to share! Check it out! It's a visual picture dictionary! This is such a fantastic tool to use for language and vocabulary development. I always strive to have good visuals to use with my ELL students and this seems to really fit the bill. Along the left margin there are themes you can choose from, but you can also search a specific word and view images.
This site offers:
- 20,000 terms with contextual definitions,
developed by terminology experts - 6,000 full-color images of a wide variety of objects
from all aspects of life
FIND words organized around major subject fields, corresponding themes or individual objects.
SEARCH ideas to quickly locate words or consult pictures to read clear, up-to-date definitions.
VIEW thousands of highly realistic illustrations and detailed diagrams created by skilled graphic artists.
DISCOVER a visual world of information of immense scope and depthWhen I taught first grade, we did a science unit on amphibians. We would always create a diagram that showed the different parts of the frog, so I searched "frog" to see what came up.
Check it out!
Next year in Kinder, we will study butterflies...
Aren't these amazing images? I am in love! I also use Boardmaker a lot in order to show images, yet those images are cartoons and not realistic pictures or photographs. There is so much potential for using this site and these great images!
http://visual.merriam-webster.com
Enjoy!
How could you use the Merriam Webster visual dictionary in your classroom?




4 comments:
You are so good jumping right back into eating healthy and exercising! You are my hero...cool web site. I'm a much more visual person. Have a wonderful week.
i'm in love with the wall of cheese!!
Oh I LOVE that visual dictionary!! Thanks for sharing it, the wheels in my head are already spinning with multiple uses for that site with my ELLs next year!
Fantastic find with the visual dictionary. I want to get one for my six year old grandson who is in love with animals.
Post a Comment