I navigated my way over to my home away from home (Amazon!) and searched Words Their Way and boy did a lot of books come up! There are tons. From what I could read in the descriptions, it was hard to tell if there were grade suggestions that went with the books or not, but I decided to get Letter and Picture Sorts for Emergent Spellers because it sounds like it will be appropriate for Kindergarten and for ELL students of which I will be seeing a lot of next year!
At school today, I tried to take a deeper look at the book that my third grade teacher friends have and I was honestly confused by it. I only had a few minutes to glance at it, but I wasn't expecting so much text. I guess the word lists come from the CD-ROM and the book is more literature about spelling? Not sure. Also, in the front of the book there were all these materials pictured which looked like there are materials that can be purchased or that there is more of a curriculum to buy rather than just a reference book. If anyone is familiar with this program I would really love some more info. I have seen it in action, but only at the upper elementary level and I am curious what it looks like with younger kiddos. I know that the spelling that goes along with our adopted reading curriculum is not great, so I was thinking maybe it would be fun to use some Words Their Way activities for centers next year, so I want to learn as much about it as I can. The materials looked cute and looked more Kindy appropriate than just lists of words that need to be cut because they appeared to be colorful and durable, not disposable.
In any event, I am sure the book will be interesting to read because I want to soak up all that I can to prepare for teaching Kindergarten.


1 comment:
The one you ordered will actually have word sorts in it. I have all of them except the one you just ordered (because I have not taught kiddos young enough to need the picture sorts since I started using this program).
If you were looking at this book, it is the technical aspects of the program so pretty wordy but does have some sorts and such on the CD-rom and in the back. I found it to be a great reference tool but the other books (like the one you purchased) have the sorts ready made and still provide directions on how to give instruction for the students to do the sorts.
Post a Comment