A Magical Read!

I said I wasn't going to post in detail about the books I am reading from the 100 children's novels list, but this one merits a little post action! 

I finished The Phantom Tollbooth yesterday and I can't believe I went this long as an avid reader, lover of books, and teacher without knowing about this story! It was so good! The creativity of the author impressed me over and over as I read through it. It truly made appreciate the little things in life that I neglect to consider on a daily basis, like the beautiful sights and sounds that make up our world. I went on a hike after finishing and I really reveled in the beauty of nature specifically because I read this story and it made me really happy that the story stuck me so much. I love reading, but it's not often that I put down a book and think--wow! This was one of those books for me. LOVED IT!

Summary from the back cover==> When Milo, an uninspired ten-year-old drives his toy car through a magical tollbooth and into the enchanted Lands Beyond, he begins a remarkable journey through the Kingdom of Knowledge where he discovers that life is exciting...beyond his wildest dreams!

This book is full of plays on language creative characters like the princesses called Rhyme and Reason who are banished by their quarreling brothers King Azaz of Dictionopolis and the Mathematician, ruler of Digitopolis. It's so creative and incorporates so many funny sayings and idiosyncrasies of language, I can't even explain it! I almost feel like it's more appropriate for adults than kids--or at least it has lots of little parts, somewhat like many cartoon films, that really connect with adults more so than kiddos. As I read, I felt like many "life lessons" could be taught with this book and I imagined having great conversations with kids, yet I think it's definitely a story that needs to be discussed and not just read. I think, depending on the age group, there would be many things kids would not quite get. I would love some input on what grade level(s) teachers have read this with or that it could be appropriate for. Maybe I need to read it again! It struck me a great tool for teaching ELL students about language, yet the language concepts are somewhat complicated, so it would take some explaining.

I really just love the message and how the main character goes from being a bored, un-enthused kid to a kid who recognizes the excitement and adventure of life. I tried searching for it on amazon and all of the copies were from private sellers. This is probably one you will have to hunt down at the library, but it's SO worth it if you have not read it yet. Go! Go now!


I also started reading A Wrinkle in Time, which I did read as a fifth grader (and can't remember (remember my comprehension issues?!)), but so far I am not completely loving it. Although I am a huge fan of the Harry Potter series, which is of course very magical and mystical, this book, which contains some similar elements, is just not doing it for me so far. I won't say I hate it, but I have enjoyed others on the top 100 list a lot more. I will definitely give it a chance and finish it before making a final judgment. What do you think about this one? Did you like it?


I also want to start The War Against the Poor, which my professor recommended, but it doesn't exactly look like light reading.  I feel like I have been reading so much lately, but mostly just for fun, so I need to get started on some meaty issues pretty soon! I also have a 150 page document for politics and policy waiting to be read....ugh!

...and I got an email from a man who created a software program called SpellQuizzer who read my post about spelling and asked me if I wanted to review his product and do a giveaway so that one lucky reader could win a free software license. I was interested (and excited to be asked to do a product review!) but unfortunately this software is for PC's and I have a Mac (well, it's not unfortunate that I have a Mac, but unfortunate that I can't review the software). I emailed him back and said that I would mention the software and see if any of my readers would be interested in a free trial in order to do a product review. We can arrange a little "guest blog" and still provide the chance for another lucky reader to get a free license. So, if you are interested in getting a trial and doing a review, please leave me a comment or email me and I will connect you with the software creator to get the free trial. Thanks!

4 comments:

Rhonda Moon said...

Now I want to read The Phantom Tollbooth. Maybe this summer I can convince my 12 year old to read it with me. Sounds great.

ELL Forever said...

I love this book too! It's been made into a movie, which is very good too. I thought it's funny but at the school I work at, there is a little boy that looks very much like the actor who plays the main character in the movie and I just love that!! Glad you blogged on this book. It is a true classic.

Kelly said...

Do you know what the reading level on the Phantom Tollbooth is? I think one of the third graders I tutor would love it!

Books That Heal Kids said...

just checked the Phantom Tollbooth out from the local library. can't wait to read it!