IRA

I recently joined the International Reading Association and signed up to receive their monthly (or almost monthly) publication called The Reading Teacher. Since I got a discounted rate for being a student both the membership for one year and the subscription cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 dollars. I know that the May issue of The Reading Teacher has been published, but I haven't received it yet. I bet it will take longer to get to Germany (even though it is the International Reading Association). The website was being really combative, so I had to call to place my order and the headquarters was in the US which means that most likely the magazine is being shipped from there.

Once I paid for membership I gained access to online archives of The Reading Teacher and lots of other good information. I found out that recently a collection of books has been created with compilations of articles from The Reading Teacher on particular areas of literacy that sound really great.
They offer Essential Readings on:
  • Vocabulary Instruction
  • Comprehension
  • Fluency
  • Early Literacy
  • Motivation
and just published a new one on Struggling Readers

I kind of want them all! I know that technically I could hunt down all of the articles in the online archives, but I could also just buy the book where they are together in a nice neat package. I am actually thinking that since I really would like to have the books on comprehension, struggling readers, and early literacy that I might ask for them for my birthday. They cost $25 each, but are only $19.95 for members. I am sure I could slip my log in info to anyone who would be willing to purchase one for me (::mom::).

I also saw this book, which sounds quite interesting as well...


When you visit the IRA website you can also check out podcasts by some of the authors of the books they have for sale. I have been meaning to listen to the one about the book above.

Even though I officially became a member, I think that much of the material can be accessed by anyone. I just clicked on a podcast and it's playing even though I am not currently logged in with my member info.

I just wanted to share because the organization and site seems like a great resource. I can't wait to get my first issue of The Reading Teacher and I will definitely share once I get it and read it.

I also belong to my local reading council in Portland which is part of the Oregon Reading Association and as a result I am on the email list which informs me about lots of great local chances to participate in activities and professional development opportunities. 

Do you belong to any professional organizations that you are think are worthwhile?
What helps to stay aware of new research or valuable PD info for educators?

4 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

I hope you get them for your Birthday! Sound like great tools for your job. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Katie @ Miss Klohn's Classroom said...

Thanks for passing that along! One of my professors presented at the IRA conference last year. I might have to look into joining it!

Kelly said...

Ooo...I hope you get them for your birthday! It's great that you get a discount, I wish they would have cheaper memberships for those things because I already spend so much money on teaching.

How was that book you were reading awhile back on management by the way...I now forget what it was called...

Raye said...

Wow, those collections are awesome. I love being able to read a lot about one topic in collections like that since it makes it easier to compare/contrast the different viewpoints of the authors.

I have had free access to The Reading Teacher with my university and I have found some really great articles in it.