Substitute

Today I got to substitute during a third grade math period and it was oh so much fun. The way it works at my school is that there are no substitute teachers, but all teachers have to fill in for one another when someone needs to be out. So basically if a teacher is gone, the class will have many different teachers filling in throughout the day. Seems like a good way to save on the cost of subs, but sometimes I feel like it can be a bit hectic to come in for just one period.

Luckily, I was filling in for my friend and she was kind enough to give me the plan yesterday and talk about it with me. I taught the kids about area and they worked on finding the area of some different figures. I had so much fun leading a lesson for once! I was a little curious to see if the kids would act up because they tend to get a little riled up with subs, but they were fantastic. I am in the room a lot working with a few kiddos and I was their TA at the beginning of the year, so they know me well! I am happy to know my classroom management skills have not gone to the wayside. I used a lot of complimenting of students who were prepared and listening and that is usually a successful way to get others to follow suit. I will say that managing time is something I have completely forgotten about, but luckily we got through everything we needed to during the 45 minute period. It seemed to me like all of the kids understood and they were great listeners and on task the whole time. I had a little Smartboard fear since I did not have any time to prep in the classroom before math since the kids were in there for German class. Luckily, the teacher assistant was able to help out with that. I would have loved to try out the new board, but it's hard to just jump in during a lesson without ever having used one before...maybe next time!

I am so excited to be back in the classroom next school year!!!
Yay Kindergarten!

3 comments:

Mrs. Fine said...

Isn't it just an awesome feeling to just hop right back into the classroom and have it fall into place? Way to go! I enjoyed reading about your day -- thanks for sharing! :-)

Kelly said...

Yay, I'm glad you had fun teaching the whole class. Can't wait til you teach K with me!!! (haha "with me" like you are going to be in my room)

Also- that system for subs is crazy! What if you were planning to do something during your prep period and suddenly had to sub? Yuck!

Sarah said...

Glad it went so well! Managing the time component always seemed to be the trickiest for me ...