So, since he is going to Portland, I get to send some things with him to drop off at a friend's house so that I will have those items when I move in August. Since I will be traveling alone in August, I can't bring that much stuff, so we are spreading it out and moving some stuff now. I am thinking of sending winter clothing, coats, scarves, hats, shoes etc. because I won't need any of those things between now and August. That's not to say we won't have more cold, rainy, very non-summer-like weather between now and then, but I need to send something.
I have posted before about how I am so torn with regards to my collection of books that I have here that I really want to have access to once I am teaching Kindergarten back in OR. I have pretty much decided that most books can be found in libraries, so although that means having to be a bit more organized and making frequent trips to the good old library, I will be okay leaving most of my picture books behind. I did pick out some particular ones that are for instructional purposes that I know I would not find at a library, but I have significantly narrowed my pile.
My cute little coin books are coming. My character development books are coming too.
And my collection of simple decodable/sight word books are coming because it's hard to find texts like these in the real world of literature, yet this kind of book is important to have around so my little friends can practice words they know and can read a book from start to finish.
Then I started thinking about my teaching resource books....another dilemma! These types of books are ones that I refer to continuously for planning, teaching, and also for completing all of my papers for class that require links to research and best practices. It's not likely that I would find them at a library and I want to have them permanently while I am there rather than for only a few weeks at a time. I took a little inventory of all the books that I have (which by the way are organized by theme on my bookshelves) and made a list of the ones I am pretty sure I can't live without.
- Reading with Meaning by Debbie Miller
- Growing Readers by Kathy Collins
- The Daily Five by Gail Boushey & Joan Moser
- 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: Primary Grades by Ruth Culham
- Un-Standardizing Curriculum: Multicultural Teaching in the Standards-Based Classroom by Christine Sleeter
- Readers and Writers with a Difference by Lynn Rhodes & Curt Dudley-Marling
- (and of course my new book) Letter and Picture Sorts for Emergent Spellers-Words Their Way
What are you favorite "teacher books"?
What resources have given you aha moments?
What personal items (i.e clothes, shoes, purses etc.) would you sacrifice (if you were me) in order to bring more books?

5 comments:
Katie I wish you lived closer you could throw a bunch on my shipping container and if you go to CT for Xmas I could get them to you. Meet some where between NY/CT. But then you would have to figure how to get them back to Germany next year.
I have no idea what I'd choose to leave and send...gosh..that's just not easy. I know you'll come up with a decent solution, but it's tough...period. Good luck!
Reading With Meaning by Debbie Miller is one of my favorites.
i'm an elementary school counselor and started a blog full of all the resources I use....currently I am reading Readicide and I've had some major A Ha moments....and books from the website (The Responsive Classroom)
me bloggy: http://booksthathealkids.blogspot.com/
One of my favorites is also Reading with meaning by Debbie Diller. I also love her Workstations book. In fact I modeled my workstations (centers) after that book. LOVE her! She came and did a training with my district on workstations about 5 years! It was one of the best workshops I've been to!!
Post a Comment