A little Fitness for Saturday!

When I opened up my yahoo! page this morning,  I saw this short video clip listing 6 strategies for doubling your caloric burn during workouts. Of course, I clicked and watched. I recommend you watch it because the visual helps, but the 6 strategies are listed below as well. The tips come from celebrity trainer Jeanette Jenkins and I think they're good!
 Try it out during your next workout and let me know how it goes!


Source
1. Combine upper and lower body: For example, instead of standing there doing biceps curls with dumbbells, add simultaneous stationary lunges.

2. Shuffle with your walk: During a 30-minute power walk, include 5 intervals of side shuffles lasting 60 seconds to 2 minutes each.

3. Insert cardio blasts: Instead of resting or texting between sets on the weight machines, do 25 to 30 jumping jacks, alternating knee lifts, or front kicks.

4. Wear a weighted vest: This will double your burn while walking, hiking, running, or taking a cardio class.

5. Do drop sets: For weight training, start off each set with the heaviest amount you can lift for 10 to 15 reps; then drop the weight 50 percent and continue to 25 reps.

6. Bump up your weights. While taking a sculpting class, push yourself to use 2 to 3 pounds more than you normally would. "It will make an incredible difference," says Jeanette.

How are you going to burn some calories today?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm going to burn some calories by walking my dog! I might also do some stretching. We'll see!

We recently won a 20lb kettlebell and it will be fun adding something new to the workout :)

Raye said...

I burned some calories today helping The Husband split logs!

I have always really enjoyed The Firm workout videos because they combine the information above -- they do a lot of "4 limb movement" exercises so you're working your entire body at the same time, even if the focus is on upper or lower. I've burned as much as 500 calories in 40 minutes with those workouts.