Kicking off Co-Teaching in K

I have not been at all good about keeping up with this blog, but since a few people have asked for the resources I used for my Pete the Cat lesson,  I thought I would create a post with the links and info.


This image shows how I prep all my materials for co-taught lessons. I get everything ready in a pocket chart that is pinned to my wall. When it's time for the lesson, I simply grab the pocket chart and go! In each classroom where I co-teach I have a place to hang the charts I bring (usually over the classroom teacher's chart) and then I carry them away with me when I leave. 

The images I used for this lesson can be found here:




I did not use all the food images, just selected what I thought my students might like and foods that represent different colors.

Prior to doing this co-taught language lesson, classroom teachers read:


Content Objective: I can recognize colors.

Language Objective: I can use color words to describe Pete’s shoes.

Language Function: describe people and things

Language Form: color adjectives

Sentence Frame(s):
Pete stepped in a big pile of ________.

I love my _____ shoes. 

This is a really fun lesson to review/teach color words  as well as foods. It's also fun to get a little silly singing along to the tune from the book. If you can access this story as an audio book, it's great to listen to.

We typically choose sticks to select students as helpers. Helpers get to choose a food. Then we use a a  response signal that incorporates think time and have the whole class respond with what color that food will turn Pete's shoes. 

Then we sing using the frame: I love my {color} shoes!

I plan to bring a blow up guitar and also my great karaoke microphone, which the kiddos love to speak into. 

Let me know if you try this with your students too! Kinders sure do love Pete the Cat! 




No comments: