Summer Reads

Yesterday I mentioned this post about 14 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big Screen.
I personally feel like books are always better than their movie counterparts, so I am totally on board to read these before I see any of the movies. I can cross off about half of these books because they just don't seem interesting to me. They're probably great, but after reading the story descriptions I am out. I have become very averse to movies that are violent. That's a whole other blog post, but I'll just say I do not think watching gun violence of mass chaos is entertaining. It just hits too close to some of the tragedies our country has experienced this past year. I don't do zombies or ghosts either. Or Sci-Fi. Yet, Mr. Sneaker drags me to a lot of movies that I wouldn't choose and sometimes I like them.

Anyway...

 There are a few I have already read. 




The Book Thief was SO good. It was pretty long, but I couldn't put it down. I am very curious how the movie will come out. 

I really enjoyed Gone Girl as well. Definitely a page turner because it's suspenseful!

Reconstructing Amelia was good too. Another book where the story unfolds as you read and you really anticipate finding out what happens. 

The ones I want to read from this list are




I already started The Fault In Our Starts. It's about a young girl who has Cancer who falls in love. So far so good, but I'm not that far along yet. 

Divergent is the first in a series of three that is compared to The Hunger Games, which I loved. The third book comes out in October. I've heard from many friends that it's good, so I am excited to give it a try. I always love a good series because there's nothing like knowing that you get more of the characters when you finish. 

The Spectacular Now is a love story. It is described as a page turner, so it sounds promising. 

When I'm really into a book I typically finish in only a few days. I'm not really good with my reading comprehension in terms of remembering the details of books once I've finished them, but I'm not getting graded, so I'm just in it for the enjoyment factor while I'm reading. I'm so glad I finally have several books on my list to read. I have already downloaded them on my Kindle so they are reading and waiting. 

Kelly turned me onto Good Reads, so I've been trying to keep track of what I've read, what I'm currently reading, and what I want to read. It's fun to keep a list and connect with other people for book recommendations and reviews. 


I also have the Good Reads app so I can see updates and enter books I want to read or mark when I have finished a book. 


Have you read any of these books? Any favorites? 
Do you always read books before viewing the films?

4 comments:

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I love goodreads! I would love to follow you, but I didn't see a link to your account!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I'm glad you are liking goodreads! I need it partly because I have such bad reading comprehension I sometimes forget what I've read and whether I liked it haha.

I highly recommending following Amber above- she reads a LOT and has good book recommendations. She reads a lot of great young adult books too!

I've read a lot of these books including divergent and fault in our stars, both really good. I'll have to check out the love story.

I actually watched Time Travelers Wife on the plane yesterday and now I want to read the book- I usually don't go in that order though!

Raye said...

Divergent is AMAZING. I personally think the Divergent trilogy is better than the Hunger Games. I still like HG of course but Divergent is sooooo much better! I can't wait for the 3rd book!

Miss Trayers said...

Your list is almost exactly like mine! I read all 3 of the ones you read (Book Thief is just amazing-I hope they can do it justice with a movie). I just finished Fault in the Stars which I also loved. I have Spectacular Now and Divergent in my to-be-read pile too! :)

NotJustChild'sPlay