As I was sitting in the office of one of my team members today working with my fourth grade friend, I noticed a really great poster on the wall. It was pretty small and not too flashy, but I really thought it was an excellent resource and reminder for students. It listed some good reading skills/strategies that should be employed before, during, and after reading with a little image next to each one.
After my friend left, I copied down the info on the poster so I could make my own (travel size) for myself and students who might find it useful. I used my Boardmaker software to add the images and I will laminate it tomorrow at school so it stays in good shape.
Take a look!
Good Readers
It is so important that young readers realize that there is a lot more to the act of reading than just saying aloud or silently passing their eyes over the words. Being an active reader means constantly thinking, connecting, and working hard while reading in order to really understand the text, story, or reading selection. This chart will hopefully be a good visual reminder for some students and help them to remember that it's okay (and important) to go back and reread if they miss something or to get clarification for words/parts of the text they don't understand. I also like how it encourages students to create a picture in their head as a way to better recall what is happening in the story.
Even the older students (5th graders) that I work with need a bit of help remembering how to be "good" readers. They get intimidated by more difficult texts, yet some of these skills can help them break down some of those challenging texts by using strategies that help them experience success in understanding and remembering.
Please feel free to print and use this "Good Readers" chart. I only ask that you leave me a comment and let me know that you liked it! :0)

2 comments:
Love this!! I may have to "Borrow" it for my literacy lab! One thing I've been doing doing when I work with struggling readers is modeling the thinking process when I read because you're so right it is SO much more than just being a word caller!!
You are wonderful!! Thanks for sharing!
I copied the reading chart and went through it with my boys. The tips apply to reading in both English and Deutsch and should help them with comprehension. We'll have to review it periodically. Thank you for posting it.
Post a Comment