How hands on is the principal at your school?
Principals have different leaderships styles which means not all principals are stopping by classrooms on a daily basis checking in with teachers and students. When I was part of an interview committee last year in order to help select a new principal for the school I was working at, all of the candidates emphasized how they would be visible in the school, how they would greet students in the morning, and how they felt it was important to be in and out of classrooms throughout the day. I was pleased with their statements and ambitions because I really do think the visibility, familiarity, and presence of the principal are all very important.
The principal where I work now is wonderful. He knows the names of students so that he can greet them personally. He teaches the students' IT class, so they interact with him in a learning environment every single week. He also fills in for teachers when they are sick. This morning one of the teachers whose room I work in was absent and the principal was there filling in for her. His commitment to the school, teachers, and students is really evident in the way that he can easily take over for teachers. He has classroom management skills and he has a great repertoire with the kids that is not reflective of them being intimidated by an important person they barely know, but a true respect for an adult they know well and like a lot! I think it is extremely important for administrators to maintain an understanding of what it's like to be the teacher in the classroom with 20-30 students.
All too often, administrators get far removed from daily classroom life and lose the ability to relate to the hustle and bustle that can sometimes be a bit chaotic (especially in elementary school). I really appreciate the fact that this principal is playing for the same team as the teachers and shares in the responsibility for teaching the students. Of course principals have many responsibilities that require them to be away from the building or in their offices, however I am so happy to be at a school where the Principal's door is always open and he is routinely popping into classrooms and circulating throughout the building. A quality of a good leader is leading by example and my principal truly does that.
What kind of leadership does your principal demonstrate?
If you are a teacher, do you feel supported by the principal in your building?
Would you feel confident leaving your students in the Principal's hands if you were absent?

6 comments:
I wanted to tell you that you are a really good role model to all the teachers that are just starting like me!
This was very well written.
I have had several different principals with different leadership styles.
This year, my principal (male-who has been at this school for over 30 years) and assistant principal (female who has been there for about 11) are opposites in several ways. I feel supported by both of them. They are both very visible to the students and staff. "Mr." does the P.E. classes.
I might try to answer a little better later.
Thank you for your post!
I feel supported by my principal but she is NEVER in my classroom except when she has to observe. In some ways I don't mind this haha, but I also think she should be in more often. During student teaching the principal was in at least every other day, just walking through to see what was up. My principal comes in and if it's snack time she leaves, I'm like- you could talk to the kids haha.
She would NEVER sub for a teacher haha. If I ever saw that I would die laughing. If you knew her you'd understand :)
As you know I want to be a principal and couldn't agree with you more! When I was in Grad school I remember thinking how I want to be the kind of principal that is in the classrooms so much it's second nature, not an usual thing that make the teachers nervous. I think it's great that your principal will cover a class for a teacher! I once heard that the principal is the "principal" teacher therefore they should be able to take over or teach a lesson! I hope I remember all these things when the day comes for me to step into that role.
My current principal is very supportive and has a great vision but rarely gets into the classrooms. I think it's so easy to get bogged down with all the other responsibilities that classroom visits get over looked. Sad but true!
Oh one more thing! I think it's so important to the know the names of the students in your school. As a lit coach I work really hard to learn the students names. They are always surprised when I can call them by name in the hall or when I pop into the classrooms. I think it's so important to validate them by knowing their name.
My daughter International School here the Principal is just as you described, I feel feeling lucky to have her in that environment. Her old school in the States the Principal was more of a authority figure and didn't relate or interact as much.
My old principal was AMAZING but my new principal is not so cool. He doesn't even know my name and it's December. He is super authoratative without ever taking the time to get to know his teachers. The very first time we all met him, in August, he didn't even introduce himself, he just started giving orders. I don't feel like I can approach him at all :(
Post a Comment