Holiday Traditions

I already posted here about my family's advent tradition, but my family has another special tradition I want to share. Each year since we were born, my mother has gotten both my brother and me a dated Hallmark ornament. When we got old enough, we were allowed to choose which one we wanted. It is so fun to look back and see my entire collection and think about why I chose each one.

This year, I chose this one because I think it is reflective of how I am now teaching at an international school.

We did not put up a tree this year because we are leaving the week before Christmas to go back to the states, but last year was the first year that my mom handed all of my 26 years of ornaments over to me so that I could put them on my own tree instead of having them on the tree at her house. It was so fun looking back on all of the ornaments I chose and putting them in order from 1982 to 2008.

I love this tradition and hope to carry it on when I have kids of my own.

What do you celebrate this time of year?
What is your favorite holiday tradition?

10 comments:

kBw said...

I love that tradition! My husband and I started something like that when we started dating, every Christmas we got an ornament representing where we celebrated the holiday. If we celebrated it in two different places we got two different ornaments but it is really fun to have a token to remind us where we have been.

Stopping by from SITS. I hope you have a lovely Monday and a great week!
xo, KA

Sara E said...

hey fellow SITS girl ...
it's so cool that you are teaching at an international school in Germany. I bet that is a fun adventure.

and so super cool to receive all those ornaments at one time. My mom made me a wreath a few years ago with ornaments and other items from my childhood. I love it! It's on my front door. I'll probably blog about that with a pic sometime this week :)

Leah said...

That is a wonderful tradition, and one I hope to do when my husband and I have kids. :-D

Sherrie said...

Love the ornament and I agree it is perfect for you! We have tons of holiday traditions with the boys that I love to do year after year.

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

I started getting one new ornament with the date on it each year a long time ago. Not necessarily a Hallmark one though. Whatever ornament we buy, if the date isn't on it, I'll just write it on. It is fun looking at them all and remembering. The one you picked this year is perfect!

Merry Christmas.

teacherwoman said...

That sounds like such a wonderful tradition! I think one of my favorite holiday traditions was putting up the christmas tree and decorations the evening of Thanksgiving, especially when we were older and my sister and I were living away from home. It was a nice way to bring all of us together to tell stories and memories of christmas's past!

Matty said...

Your mother had a lot of forethought to save those ornaments. Great idea.

We have them too from years ago, but they were never saved for any specific reason. We just get them out of the box each year with all the other decorations and hang them on the tree. Each year they're just a year older, but it's nice to see them and remember when.

Our main tradition is spaghetti and sweet sausage on Christmas eve while watching a Christmas movie.

Mr. Halpern said...

I buy a Hallmark ornament each year. I also am PROUD of my fake tree. It's an expensive one I bought years ago, and I love it. I can manipulate each twig and branch to make it look perfect, which I love. My cat also does not try to climb it and my dog isn't interested in peeing on it. I also relish that I don't kill a poor tree and then ditch it on my curb the day after Christmas... Hooray for my fake tree! :)

Courtney said...

What a wonderful tradition. I have started a Hallmark collection with my nephew and niece. I do the series that started the year they were born. Logan will be getting his third ornament this year and Madison will be getting her first.

honeypiehorse said...

Perfect choice!