
The theme of this week's Teacher Swap hosted by Jen from Following the Footsteps is to show pictures of our classrooms.
I have pictures from both my classroom in Oregon and the classrooms I will be working in here in Germany. It is interesting to see the differences.
I started last school year off with the desks in a U formation. I really liked it, but it was a bit tight for space in my room. I rearranged the furniture in that room so many times because I could never get it just the way I wanted it. Finally, at the middle of last year, I arranged it in a way that I liked best of all.
This was a my carpet time area where I did most of my instruction. The wall showing was my calendar wall and to the right was my large whiteboard. The colored rectangles had sight words written on them. I made a "rainbow trail" of words written on craft foam and velcro-ed to the carpet so that my students would have to hop on the trail and read the words on the way to the carpet each day.
My classroom library
I definitely acquired a lot more books over the course of last year because there were buckets lining that whole shelf by the end of the year. When I get my own room again, I would like to more thoroughly organized my library by levels and themes so the children would be able to easily identify what books they were interested in/were appropriate for their reading levels and they would be able to put them back where they came from.
Room 3S- Germany
Room 3K-Germany
I always enjoy getting my room ready at the beginning of the year and although I have been helping the third grade teachers prep their rooms, it's just not the same!

6 comments:
I LOVE the pictures of your classroom!! Yes, I could tell the differences in the rooms from US and Germany. I LOVE that you had them hop on the site words to get to the carpet!! SO CUTE!! LOVE LOVE IT! Your 1st grade classroom reminds me a lot of mine when I taught 2nd grade. I know what you mean about it not being the same. All I had to do was set up my desk and find a place to store ALL MY STUFF but it's not like planning and setting up my classroom when I was a 2nd grade teacher! It's not the same and I MISS IT!!
Hope you're doing well in Germany!
Jen
Oh you don't want to see my room right now. It's still kind of a mess and no where near ready for the first day of school next wednesday. Great pics! It's interesting to see the differences between here and Germany!
That is so interesting to see the difference in classrooms. I have always been interested in seeing how different countries do things.
Rebecca
Thanks for posting pictures from the two classrooms. I am so excited to learn more as you continue this experience.
I want to tell you that the principal in new school I'll be working at, went to a Seminar (can't think of the name right now), but it was mostly on decluttering. She removed all her office's furniture and the secretary's and bought IKEA products where she re-furnished it in a sparce and impecable way. She hardy has any papers anymore everything looks spacious. I don't know how it looked before, but I can imagine: small and busy! I love here office! It's light limy green with cool student's picts nicely framed.
From the Germany school, I also love the idea of having a separate "office area".
I also love the words on the flor idea. Thanks for sharing!
There are some big differences b/t the classrooms! But they're both great!
I have something for you on my blog!
http://heather-momof3boys.blogspot.com/2009/08/i-got-2-awards-yay.html
I enjoyed seeing all of these pictures!
I also used the u shape one year, when I had student desks.
I am planning to get my pictures posted tonight.
So, you are working in Germany as a teacher's assistant, instead of teacher? for one year? or longer? I wish you the very best, and will continue to follow your story!
Post a Comment