After waiting for a long time, I finally heard back from my doctoral program advisor with regards to whether or not I can continue with the program from Germany. For those of you who are new readers, here is the brief background:
I applied for a doctoral program back in January of this year (before my husband was offered a position in Germany). I was accepted and had plans to begin my coursework this fall in Oregon. Around March/April, my husband got a call from the global office indicating they wanted to bring him over to Germany for a position on their global team. At first, was I devastated at the thought of having to give up the program, but then I began thinking of alternative ways to make it work. I submitted a proposal to the program coordinator asking to remain enrolled and to use Skype in order to participate in courses from afar. I have been waiting since July to hear back.
So, the short answer is that the faculty members were not keen on using technology as a means for me to participate in the courses, however, I did have support from a few of the faculty members (mostly my two advisors) so it is possible that I can continue and somehow make this work!
I just need to figure out the details with my advisor to see where I go from here and what the next steps should be!

3 comments:
If that doesn't work, maybe you should try to find an online doctoral program. I just got my masters entirely online and there was someone in my program from Germany, as well as Japan! Very cool.
That' a bummer!! Not sure why some people resist technology! I guess it's a fear of the unknown! Good for you for not giving up! I hope you're able to continue to work on your program one way or another. I agree with Kelly, check out an online program! I seriously considered it when I got my masters.
Nothing has come from all my interviews! I am getting the feeling the Lord just wants me to be still and I am ok with that but it's still a little sad!!
Hang in there!! Can't wait to hear what you come up with!!
Jen
Well, that's OK. Support is important and all that matters is that you'll be able to make it work, somewhow. The answers will come... I'll be praying for all to work out for you!
Post a Comment