I had to give my post a happy title because I am overwhelmed with work! Currently I am taking FOUR grad courses at once. Yes, I signed up for it, but I didn’t really think about how much work it was going to be. This is the only week that I have all four at once. Two of them will be completed by the end of the week leaving only the two online courses, which I will finish once we are in Germany. I am looking forward to the reduction in workload (and of course to seeing my BFF Cristina on Friday and then the rest of my family including my adorable niece that I am seeing for the second time ever on Saturday! HOORAY!) I made this text pink just in case Cristina reads this because pink is her favorite color and I love her!
Summer courses are great, however when everything is crammed into a two-week period, the daily workload is a lot. I am loving my courses and learning a lot, but I am finding that I barely have time for anything else. I did not watch any TV yesterday and didn’t get in a workout either! I am staying on campus today until my afternoon class which goes from 4-9, so it looks like I won’t get in a workout today either (unless you count all the movement my fingers are doing typing paper after paper after blogpost after paper!) I am trying to be productive in the computer lab, but I decided it was time to take a break and do some bloggy time!
For any teachers that follow this blog, I have two great resources that I am using in my classes. Both books outline terrific strategies that can be used with students of all ages for reading and writing in content areas. The strategies are often geared towards older students, yet they are easy to adapt for the little guys!
I was about to cite in APA style…does that tell you how much work I have been doing lately?!
Reading and Learning Strategies: Middle Grades Through High School by Lenski, Wham, Johns, and Caskey. Purchase it here at amazon.com
Write More! Learn More!: Writing across the Curriculum by Tama (she is actually my teacher!) and McClain. Purchase it here at amazon.com
Both books are full of great tips and strategies and like I said, I have found them easy to apply to first grade (soon to be third grade).
Also, another book I ordered and will hopefully get in the mail today or tomorrow:
Rethinking Multicultural Education: Teaching for racial and cultural justice by Wayne Au. Purchase it here at amazon.com
One of the great things about being a teacher is sharing resources with others, so if you like things I post please let me know and I will do that more often. Also please feel free to post about great books or teaching resources that you enjoy!
Have a great day!

5 comments:
Wow, you are taking 4 Grad classes? What were you thinking? lol. I hope that you get through them with your sanity in tact.
Good luck this week!! I can't image FOUR classes at once in the SUMMER! I have to say after reading this post it makes me really miss my grad classes!! As crazy as it seems there's just something about being a student, Learning and the since of accomplishment when you can make good progress on your work.
Hang in there! Sometimes being under pressure helps get things accomplished faster!!
Ugh! I just finished my masters in May and reading your blog just reminded me how happy I am!!!
Any chance those resources could be toned down to K? Sometimes I read awesome stuff but I'm like...oh boy, 5 year olds can't do this!
Thanks for posting those resources. There's a good chance I may be teaching 7th grade next year and those would sure come in handy!
Thanks for the pink shout out! Love you and can't wait to see you soon!
Post a Comment