6 + 1 Traits of Writing

Check out this 6 + 1 Traits of Writing website. My teacher asked us to take a look at it and I am so happy that she did! There are lesson plans that address each of the traits at each grade level from 1st through 12th. There is also a Beginning Writer's Continuum (BWC) that looks like a fantastic tool for evaluating the writing of younger students according to the 7 different writing traits. You can also find writing pieces that have already been scored and you can practice scoring pieces as well.

Not familiar with 6+1 Traits of Writing? I wasn't either until last summer. I felt like everyone else knew about this secret and I didn't.

Ideas- the heart of the message

Organization- the internal structure of the piece

Voice- the personal tone and flavor of the author's message

Word Choice- the vocabulary an author chooses to convey meaning

Sentence Fluency-the rhythm and flow of the language

Conventions-the mechanical correctness

Presentation- how the piece looks

I have the 6 + 1 Traits book for primary students but the website has many additional tools to use!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved using the 6+1 traits to teach writing! That's a great site. Here's another one http://www.edina.k12.mn.us/concord/teacherlinks/sixtraits/sixtraits.html

Ms. G said...

I also use 6+1 Traits. I love using the writing rubrics as it gives the students a real sense of where they are and what they need to improve on.

My favorite lesson is the postcard activity. Each student receives a postcard with a number on the back. Students write a description of the postcard. Then I hang the postcards up around the room. Students then get their classmates descriptions and have to find the postcard that matches. If you want more of the logistical information on how the lesson works. Let me know.

Julianne Hendrickson said...

I love 6+1...great program. I envy you for being so "on" during the summer. I have let my brain totally cool and it is going to be ROUGH getting back into the swing of things!

J.J. said...

I have never heard of that either...but then again it has been a long time since I have been in school, and my own kids probably aren't old enough to have heard it. It is great to learn something new!