I just did a literature review for my advanced educational psychology class on the effects that prizes and rewards have on intrinsic versus extrinsic motivation.
As a first grade teacher, I used LOTS of incentives, prizes, and rewards to get kids motivated in class. I learned however, that prizes can actually negatively affect students' intrinsic motivation, especially if they are rewarded for an activity that was already favored. If they are rewarded for an non-preferred activity, their motivation might increase, but most likely extrinsic motivation which means there is a reliance on the reward they will receive and their motivation to do the activity is only linked to getting the prize.
Much of the research promoted looking inwardly at teaching practices and lessons in order to make them more engaging and fitting to students' interests as opposed to introducing prizes and "bribery" to get kids focused and motivated. They also affirmed that praise has different, more positive, effects on intrinsic motivation than rewards, however it was dependent on what kind of praise and how the praise was given (always has to be complicated, never simple!) Praise should always be specific and praising students for their effort rather than their intelligence results in students being willing to try harder especially when an assignment/task is challenging.
If you are a classroom teacher, homeschool teacher, or a mom this question is for you:
Do you use rewards/prizes to get your students/kids motivated for certain activities? Have you found this to be effective in increasing their intrinsic motivation or are they just in it for the prizes?
If you feel like your students/kids are motivated without prizes, do you have any tips to share about your teaching strategies that grab kids' attention??
Because I love comments so much, I am going to try my first giveaway!
52 illustrated cards with great art project ideas for kids.
Small enough to fit in your purse!
How to enter: Write me a comment! Tell me that you are:
1. Becoming a follower
2. That you are going to blog about the giveaway and link to my blog
3. Answer the questions about motivating kiddos!
Please comment only on this post and every comment will be entered to win. The giveaway will end Wednesday July 22nd, so any comments up until that date are eligible.

6 comments:
I sometimes use prizes or awards with my children. I would say that they are not to motivate them to do the activity but to reward them for their hard work and to reinforce good behavior. In other words, I do not use prizes as a bribe. Although I do confess to once trying to bribe my kids to eat a more diverse selection of foods, but we all lost interest in that project and the bribe (and diverse eating) never materialized.
How do I do this?
We have a treasure box in our home. Its filled with dollar store finds, sale items, and prizes out of the cereal box! Sometimes I will say, "I think today is going to be a treasure box day". My kids have no idea what is going to get them a chance in the treasure box. But they know it will be a treasure box day.
Other times I let them earn tickets. If it is something they have previously earned tickets for (like finishing a Bob Book Series) sometimes they ask, "Will we earn tickets for this?". Sometimes I say yes, but most often I say no. I don't want them to associate a certain activity with a certain reward.
Like most kindergarten and first grade teachers I do give out stickers from time to time. I place them on worksheets, hands, clothing and sometimes I give out a whole sheet. I don't think my children view this as a reward though. I think its just fun to get stickers and nice to have your page decorated with a gold star. My children enjoy showing me their work when they are done and I haven't noticed a difference in their behavior when I attach a sticker or not.
How I make a B-I-G D-E-A-L over milestones and accomplishments:
When my twins were little they would frequently clap for themselves and say," Yeah!" Sometimes they would clap for other children on the playground. They did this because it was so often done with them. So clapping, screaming, cheering, and doing a crazy dance are par for the course in our home and homeschool. Who doesn't love applause?
I also tell my children how proud I am of them, tell them they should be very proud of themselves, or ask them if they are proud of themselves. As a home educator I have to do double duty. As their mother I want them to know how proud I am of them, so I must tell them, frequently. As their teacher I want them to learn to validate themselves and not look for others to validate them.
While my children enjoy receiving rewards, I don't think they are dependent on them for motivation. My goal in homeschooling has always been to foster a love of learning. When children have a natural love of learning, they are motivated by their own curiosity and knowledge becomes the reward.
As a teacher yes, I do use prizes but it's mainly for good behavior! I do feel there is a fine line on giving too many or too little in order for the desired behavior to effective!
I love your insight on your research!
I see you have your button up? Yay!!! I am going to snag it and put it on my blog!!
Oh and BTW I am a follower!!
Jen
I am a follower!
I use some rewards with my students, but I try not to go overboard. I think compliments are great rewards for fourth graders. If you begin to use too many extrinsic rewards, the students begin to expect it.
Hey--I just read a book called "mindset" and it talks about both the growth mindset and the fixed mindset. It spoke about how too much, we as teachers, focus on telling kids "you are so smart" and rewarding them for good grades, etc. The book's author notes that turns children into fixed mindset people who think that they are either smart or they are not, there is not work involved. But, if we praise them by saying "you worked really hard" children will learn that intelligence is not fixed, but a growth product in which they must work for their goals. Just a thought... :) I am a follower--love 1st grade, I teach 2nd.
So, my comment comes from a mother's perspective and my own experience. I love the comment from Julianne and am going it implement it.
Okay, I often offer of prizes and words of praise to my children because I sincerely mean them (the words) or for prizes, I am desperate for them to behave in a certain situation. Sometimes this works, sometimes not.)
However, in the end, I believe that kids are kids and are going to be...well, kids. Meaning, I need the teach them the principle and then they need to decide if they value that principle or not. Such as, thank you for picking up your shoes. It sure helps to keep the house clean. Or thank you for telling me that you took the candy even though it means you are facing a consequence. It takes courage to have integrity. It may take years for them to decide they value the principle.
I hope this makes sense.
Post a Comment