Friend Making Monday



I found this idea at Jen's blog and really liked it. I would never miss a chance to brag about my wonderful best friend(s).

Similar to many other people, I consider my husband my best friend. When you choose a life partner and you share every aspect of life, it is hard not to be best friends. Especially in recent weeks, dealing with our relocation to Germany, my husband has been so sweet and supportive I can't imagine what life would be like without him.

There is another special person in my life though that is my girly bff, my other soulmate for many reasons. Cristina and I met in college as we were placed together freshman year at Villanova. We both opted to be part of the "alcohol free" zone in the dorm which was a total blessing because the rest of the girls were paired alphabetically. With our last names starting with F and W, we never would have been together if it hadn't been for that choice.

My bridal shower 2007
Cristina's bridal shower 2007

We had only lived together for about a month or so before we decided to live together again the following year. Our bestfriendhood quickly blossomed as we discovered we loved living together and were totally in sync in many aspects. We lived together all four years in college and were pretty much inseparable.

Ever since college, we have not lived close to each other. I am in Oregon and she was in New Jersey and now in Virginia. It sucks living so far from your best friend because you miss out on the simple things like meeting for lunch, going to the movies, and shopping together (all things we did a lot in college, especially the shopping part). I can't call her up and have her come over on a Friday night to watch chick flicks and I can't cry on her shoulder or let her cry on mine when things are hard because we have such a distance that separates us.

I have realized though, that true friendship transcends physical distance. Even though I don't get to see her often, we talk on the phone every week and our connection is still as strong as ever. We have a way of relating to each other that is comfortable, consistent, and perfect. If I have something to complain about, she gets it. We think alike, can finish each other's sentences, and even though we are not close in distance, we are close in our hearts. We are on the same wavelength about most things and we just get each other in a way that tells me we will be friends forever.

My wedding August 18, 2007

Cristina's wedding September 8, 2007

Cristina was the Maid of Honor at my wedding and I was the Matron of Honor at hers a few weeks later. She is the most amazing friend and I love her with all my heart. She is thoughtful, she remembers to ask about things that are happening in my life and that are important to me, she sympathizes when I am sad and she celebrates when I am happy. She even laughs at my jokes which makes me adore her all the more.

I hope that someday, we can live closer. I would love to be able to take prego pics with her one day and have playdates with our kids. I would love to be able to go out for drinks when life offers things to celebrate and to have new adventures together like the ones we had in college. I know, however, that even if we are not in close proximity, we will always be the best of friends because we fit together in a way that I have not experienced with my other girlfriends. I am always a person who does not have a lot of friends, but the ones I have mean the world to me and provide me with quality relationships. Cristina is the best example of that. If I have exciting news, it is her that I call. If I am pissed off, it is her that I complain to. She is the best and I am so glad that fate brought us together 9 years ago.

I don't think I could ever do her justice in words, but I tried.

I heart Cristina!!!

8 comments:

Tina said...

How sweet.....loved the pictures!

Happy FMM!

I'm following your blog!

Jen said...

I am so glad you joined in. Today was my first time and it was so fun! I was shocked by the number of comments I received! It made my day! It is so wonderful to have a great girl friend I have a couple that mean the world to me. I love your pictures! Both of you are so beautiful.

Bitter Sweet Moments said...

That is too sweet!! Great pictures!! Happy FMM!!!g

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

What great pictures. You are both stunning. My mom and her best friend are like that... weddings really close together, standing up for each other. Great post.

Susana said...

Great pics, great post and great BFF's! Your blog is super cute too!

Happy FMM!

Stacey said...

You both were beautiful brides!

Shawn said...

I think you did a great job telling us all about your friend. If someone said those wonderful things about me I would feel they had more then done me justice!

J.J. said...

I love the photos!!! How cool that you were able to share that with each other...and so close together. That must have been a really fun time of your life!