Work Work Work

Much of this weekend was spent doing homework. I stayed in Friday night and worked from about 8-midnight and then after pilates and some shopping at the adidas store with my roomie yesterday, I spent another evening working from about 3:30-9:30 or so (with some tv show watching mixed in with reading). I am surprised by how much homework I have already even though it was only the first week of class. Thankfully, my qualitative research class is really interesting and the books are not difficult to get through. I think that my dissertation research will be qualitative so I feel like everything I am learning will be directly applicable to that. All the reading is time consuming, but so far t hasn't been too painful!

So far in that class we have focused on observing and have done a few activities focused on what and how we observe. One of our assignments is to observe in the same public setting for an hour on a few different occasions and to take notes. I was kind of thinking of trying to get this done while at the gym since there is a lot to observe in that setting, but I haven't quite worked out how I would take notes while simultaneously exercising. In the course of my reading, I came across a book called Kidwatching which I ordered from Amazon.


I am interested to see what it has to say and I look forward to fitting it into my busy schedule. I feel like I have many many teacher books piled up that I have purchased yet haven't read and I definitely need to put some time aside to get through them all. (Or maybe they will get read this summer....) I find it really hard to incorporate 1 on 1 assessment time in the short days that I have with each group, so I think that improving my ability to gather data on their literacy skills more "on the fly" will be really helpful.

I have one small assignment left, but I am thinking of just putting my feet up and enjoying the rest of the evening without any more work. I ran 8 miles this morning with my running group and we upped our speed a bit, so I ready to relax!

**Thanks for the kind comments about the struggles I have been having at school recently. I really appreciate hearing about other teachers who have gone through similar struggles and teachers that recognize the difficulties of classroom management. I know that I am not alone and that not only do I have the support of my colleagues at school, but also many wonderful blog friends that have offered nice words of encouragement. You guys are the best!

1 comment:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Oh man, school started early for you guys. Around here most of the college classes don't start up again for another week, unless you are taking the weird "in between" class I'm taking haha.

If you do your observations at the gym, you could try biking and taking notes- that might work better than running. Or you could just mentally note some of the stuff, and write it down when you got home? It's definitely a good idea especially with your already busy schedule!