Vmath

My school has begun using a site called Vmath which offers different math lessons and games for students at all levels. Each students has a log on name and password and they can access this site at home in order to practice skills and play games. I have heard rave reviews, so I planned a demonstration session for my students' parents so the Title I math teacher could show them how to log on and how to navigate the site.

Several weeks ago, the school sent home information about the site and log on information for each student which was followed by information from me and an invitation to the demonstration today. I have 42 students, so I was hoping for a good showing from parents today.

Sadly, only three families showed up, but I was very pleased to have Danny Boy and both of his parents as well as his brother. They don't have internet at home, but his parents came anyway because his mom wanted to know how to access the site so she can bring her children to the library to play the math games. This particular student definitely has room for growth, so I was really happy to have his family participating. He had a blast playing the different games and he did well figuring out the answers!

Sometimes I feel a bit deflated when I plan something that I think will be well attended and then I end up with only a few families, yet if an activity like this can help even one student---it's totally worth it.

I need to think of some other ways to get kids excited about Vmath, so I think I will use my laptop to project the site on the whiteboard so we can play the game as a class. If the kids use their fingers to show the numerical answers or write the answers on whiteboard, it will be a fun whole class activity. I know once they see it, they will want to play more at home which will hopefully entice their parents to give it a go!

Time to snuggle up in bed with some books on culturally responsive teaching and my highlighter!!

1 comment:

Jen said...

We use to have Vmath but with budgets we sadly no longer have it. We do have the reading component called Ticket to read which is pretty good too!! Hope you get your kiddos excited about it!

Jen