Power Teaching

Today a grand effort was made to reteach my "give me five" quiet signal but sadly the results were only so so. I like to use a variety of things to get the kids to give me their attention. Sometimes I clap a rhythm and they clap back. Sometimes I use give me five. Sometimes I ring my little red bell. Sometimes I sing "stop look and listen" and the kids respond "right now." I use them strategically as I see fit and although there is not always 100% silence, I think that it's fun to mix it up a bit. My principal recommended yesterday that I focus on just one signal, which I did today, but it still was not really effective. I will keep practicing it, but I think I am in need of a fresh signal. I did a google search for "quiet signals for Kindergarten classrooms" and came across a page with some different ideas. Someone also posted a link to the video below.

I am truly in awe of this teacher. Obviously she has invested a lot of time teaching these songs, chants, and routines, but the outcome sure is great. I want to be in her class! It just makes me realize that sometimes as teachers, we need to rethink things and get fresh ideas from other teachers.

Check it out...



My principal did not come talk to me in person about the observations she made today, but she emailed me the notes. The kids were very on task during instruction time, but it's times when they go from being at work to giving me their full attention that are proving difficult. My belief is that Kindergarten is a work in progress and that each day will be filled with different surprises, lots of energy, and lots of fun. Yes, it will be a challenge and will always keep me on my toes, but I would much rather be a teacher than sit at a desk all day!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Wow!! That video IS incredible!! That would take a lot of work at the beginning of the year BUT being able to have that kind of learning environment the rest of the year it would be WORTH it!! Thanks for sharing!! LOVE it!!

Ashley said...

That video was amazing...I definitely needed to see something like that. It gave me new hope in my students and class. I will definitely be using some of these strategies. Thanks for sharing!

MrsKP said...

I started doing power teaching with my sixth graders, although obviously it works differently than it does with kinders.

The kids did great with it. I had probably 95% participation as opposed to the 75% I get without it. They like it because they get to talk and move more. "Class" "Yes" is the best tool EVER for getting attention. I change it up by saying class in different voices and different ways that they have to copy. I also use "Teach-OK" and "Write-OK" for taking notes. It's hard to prepare lessons, but it works great.

Sarah said...

Amen to not sitting at a desk all day! Good luck with the signal thing -- it seems like what works one day doesn't always work the next! And I love those power teaching videos -- AMAZING! :)

Ginger Snaps said...

That alphabet sound song is sooo cute!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Oh my gosh- I just watched the video and that was so awesome! I love how the kids say "seats, seats, seats" until they get to their seats, some kids SO need that otherwise they will end up NOT at their seat lol. I'm not sure if I could handle the insane structure but I loved that. The alphabet song was awesome too- I think I have that song but I like how they almost did an exercise with it. So good.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I love that video! What site did you find it? The address listed at the end of the video is not active anymore. I was hoping to find the full lyrics to that song.