My afternoon class was a LOT chattier and they had a more difficult time reviewing the routines. They did okay, but some of the kids who are either great or really chatty, were very talkative today. Overall the day went well, but when the principal popped in at the end of the pm session everything went in the crapper. I tried unsuccessfully to get their attention and it was a huge struggle. I am really rethinking the schedule that ends the day with math. It is really hard to keep the kids focused at the end of the day and that doesn't work well with new math instruction. I may swap math time with some of our sight word and letter activities since the kiddos can do those pretty independently now. The morning class ends with what used to be choice time and will now be supplemental math and reading activities followed by story time so it is easier to keep that group working until the very end of the day.
Prior to break my principal talked to me about some concerns she has regarding my classroom management so her checking in has been very frequent. It just about killed me that she was questioning my teaching skills and it was a bitter pill to swallow because I kind of thought I crossed the line from being a new teacher who required a lot of assistance to a teacher with 5 years under my belt during which I took tons of classes and gained a good amount of experience and skills. My expectations for myself are high and I never want to fall short of anyone's expectations for me either. I feel like a little chaos is a typical part of a Kindergarten classroom and I know that Kindergarten teachers leave school tired at the end of the day for a reason....Kindergarten is not always quiet and organized, but I guess different people have different ideas of how a classroom should operate. So, after school my principal returned to my classroom to share some notes and observations with me and it ended up being a very positive encounter with her. I really appreciated the manner in which she shared her observations and her notes reflected more positives than negatives. I realize that there are definitely things I need to work on and my initial reaction that she was questioning my overall management is not necessarily the case there are just certain things that need fine tuning and practice. She is going to come back to observe more this week, which ultimately I think is a good thing, but I am not used to such a hands on principal. I hope that she can see some improvements in the areas that we discussed because like I said, it's really hard to feel like I am lacking as a teacher and it kind of feels like I am being watched a little too closely right now.
How often does your principal observe or "check in" with you?
How well do you handle construction criticism?
How was your first day back?

5 comments:
I can really relate to close observation bringing out my perfectionist defenses. Thanks for voicing that!
My first day back was quiet. Four kindees were home sick, which contributed to that quiet.
I teach a full-day class, so by 1:30 they were all asking what time they go home. Math choices at the end of the day works well when they are exhausted though! ;)
Thanks for this post, I'm glad to have found you!
I have a really hard time taking criticism... I would probably fall apart in your situation.
I think that your positive attitude about the observations and constructive criticism really speaks volumes about you and your experience.
This is my first year, but I know that one of the biggest things I need to work on is developing a "thicker skin".
I have only had one observation this year. I do wish we had more... there has to be a happy medium somewhere!
Going to e-mail you about this- I have a lot of thoughts!
It has depended on the principal but this year, Mrs. Principal peeks into my room every 2-3 weeks. I honestly don't even bat an eyelash about it, unless it is clear to me that she needs to talk to me or something, I don't even stop doing what I'm doing and I think she likes that. For the prior two school years, I had a big leadership role in Former School that required me to let LOTS of people come in and observe me, including "big wigs" (ie. even more important people than my principal). I learned to not be nervous and just take their feedback, if there was any, with a grain of salt because they only saw a snapshot of a lesson or whatever.
Usually if I feel like an observation didn't go well -- which thankfully is rarely! -- I usually spend so much time reflecting on it that I bring it up before my principal can and that takes some of the pressure off both of us so they don't have to feel critical and I don't have to feel criticized.
It is never easy though when someone believes you have shortcomings, especially if you aren't seeing them or at least don't think of them in the same light. I'm glad that she was helpful and positive about it though. It'll be a good learning experience for you!
Totally feel you on this. The principals in my district are now required to spend a certain number of hours in our classrooms per week (all rooms--veterans and new). This has meant at least 3-4 visits a week of varying lengths. Talk about stressful. It is usually really great mentoring, but is also very wearing and disruptive.
Post a Comment