Kidwatching

I got my new book called Kidwatching in the mail today. As I glanced through it, I got the feeling I read it at some point during my teacher training. It seems really familiar. Oh well. I am at a point in my teaching where I think it would be really beneficial and I will probably get something different out of it this time around.

So far I only read the Preface, but I liked what I read so I thought I would share it....

 I am the teacher who is committed to discovering what each of my students knows, cares about, and can do.

I am the teacher who wants to understand each of my student's ways of constructing and experiencing knowledge.

I am the teacher who helps my students connect what they are learning to what they already know.

I am the teacher who respects the language and culture my students learn at home, and who supports the expansion of this knowledge at school.

I am the teacher who knows that there are multiple paths to literacy, and who teaches along each child's path.

I am the teacher who is committed to social justice and to understanding literacy as a sociocultural practice.

I am the teacher who believes that each child can teach me about teaching, language, and learning.

I am the teacher who believes in the interconnectedness of language, learning, and life.

I am the teacher who supports children in writing I can! on their wings.


Are you that teacher?
I hope I am.

2 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Sounds like a great read!I like her style.

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

You are DEFINITELY that teacher. No doubt about that :)