Do any of you have this book?
I can't remember where I first saw it or heard about it, but I put it on one of my many To Do lists for when I get back to Oregon. It's not as if I feel like I don't know how to begin the school year, but I always enjoy a good back to school book for encouragement, inspiration, and ideas. I'm wondering if it's good and worth tracking down or purchasing. If you've read it, I would love to hear what you thought of it!!
When I student taught, I worked with a teacher in PA who had been through Responsive Classroom training and we incorporated a daily morning meeting into our schedule. I read The Morning Meeting book back then, but I know that I simply do not have time for that within the very limited 140 minutes that I will have with my kiddos. I wish I did because I LOVED it and I don't think I have ever worked with a group of kids who got along as well as they did since then. I am on the lookout for some strategies to get a great classroom community going, and I know that investing time to develop that at the beginning of the year is important, but I am worried about the time needed to maintain those great connective lessons and experience that help the kids feel like a true community.
What do you like to do to create a sense of community in your classroom?

11 comments:
I've never read this book...but I've heard great things about it...I have a teacher friend that reads it every year before going back to work.
I have it and honestly...I didn't ever feel like it really helped me. That isn't to say it won't help you, but with how rigid some of the curriculum is in my district, this book does not account for that. I have things I am mandated to do in the first 4 days of school that make it nearly impossible for me to follow the super slow structure of that book.
I have read rave reviews about it and was very excited to read it, but it fell flat for me simply because it didn't align with the model of the school district where I am teaching. And honestly, I have to admit, I think I would be bored senseless, let alone the kids, going as slow as they do in that book.
I haven't read the book, sorry. Ways I'd foster community in my classroom were having them sit in co-operative groups. I would allow them to come up with a name for their team and then they would get to decorate a team sign that would hang above their table. I would move them around often about every 3 to 4 weeks. They loved getting to come up with a new team name!
I have read the book and it offers great tips and things to think about as far as the first six weeks of school goes. Like you, I feel like I know how to begin the school year but since this book focuses so much on the building of the classroom community and the classroom that I had last year lacked community no matter how hard I tried it build it I'll be using this as a more of a guideline this year. I actually took a 1 credit course on it at the end of June. There are some things I'll be typing up that my professor gave us to use so once I have them typed I can send them you're way if your interested, they are different worksheets and schedules and songs to incorporate.
I haven't read it, but one thing you might consider is doing Morning Meeting just one or two days a week. It will really be a treat and make the day go so well. Just a thought! LOVE the new design.
This book is a MUST have for me... I truly reread it every summer before heading back. I too feel the pressure to GET GOING with the curriculum right away, but trust me, ESPECIALLY in kindergarten, taking the time to establish rules, routines, and community will pay off in the long run. I may not take the full six weeks outlined in the book, but I DO take about 3-4 before getting heavy into things... trust me - it's WORTH IT. :)
I have read it and I really liked it- I don't follow everything exactly as they do in the book but it has helped me slow down and build routines/community. This is key in kindergarten since they are just learning about school and what its going to be like there is NO need to start curriculum at the very beginning- you'll end up being behind later when you have to reteach them how to make a line, raise their hand etc.
Also when I taught half day I did a morning meeting. It wasn't as in depth as in the morning meeting book but we still had it. It's important time to gather at the beginning of the day. I did a lot of the ideas in the book at the beginning of the year as we were getting to know each other and then morning meeting got much shorter as the year went on. I do a version of Jessica Meacham's calendar binders (I do folders, they graph the weather and mark the date) when the kids first come in the morning so we don't have to waste morning meeting time with that boring...i mean repetitive stuff haha. We focus on the morning message, I leave out words and letters and the kids all write them on white boards in front of them. It's a REALLY good teaching time (and review of letters and words) that I wouldn't get rid of no matter how short my day got :)
Buy it now! We have never been able to truly follow the first 6 weeks as spelled out in the book, but all the modeling of expectations, is a must.
If you can find some training in Responsive Classroom that will help as well.
I faithfully read this every summer just to refresh myself in the Responsive Classroom philosophy.
We have a new principal this year and I am going to push for him to allow me to follow the first 6 weeks as written.
Just stumbled across your blog!
I love this book! While I don't follow it to a "t" there are some really useful ideas in there! Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
I love this book! I actually was required to read for student teaching. Now it is part of my education library that I revisit often!
I agree with hapley1, establishing rules and routines in the beginning of the year is a must! I love having morning meeting and greeting each other each day. It helps students get to know one another and I like to give students a heads up about is going to be happening during the day.
Post a Comment