boxes of disappointment

Today I got my boxes from Oriental Trading and Amazon. I have to say, I am a little underwhelmed with the stuff from OT. Items that looked big and plentiful in their website photos come in very small packages and are a lot smaller than I imagined. I got a package of magnetic letters that cost $8.99 and there are not a lot of letters at all! I also got some foam letter beads that looked like they would be the size of quarters and they are closer to the size of very small buttons. And, I got glitter sticker letters that said they were a certain size and either they sent the wrong item or I messed up in ordering because they are really small as well. I thought there would be a lot more of those too, but no such luck! I recall seeing buckets of letters at stores like Michaels that come with LOTS of letters but these just don't seem to cut it.

I have to look up their return policy because I feel like I may have wasted some money which is not cool. I am at least happy that the beachy stuff I ordered came today because tomorrow Jill and I are heading to my storage unit first thing to pick up my boxes and then we are spending the day in my classroom and getting stuff done! I am excited to start making some progress in there.

I got some plastic shoe box size storage boxes today and I am hoping to put some materials like small blocks, shapes, and other items for play time in them so that I can have a shelf dedicated to things the kids can use during their free play time. I will probably store math manipulatives somewhere else (although I found out the district adopted a new math program but did not purchase the hands on manipulative!!!!! why???). I am thinking of putting one of my shelves in front of the foam alphabet mat to create a free play area. I would like to have some small group time during which some kids will have 10 minutes of play time while others work with me and then switch out the groups.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have some good pictures to post so stay tuned!!

2 comments:

Karin Katherine said...

Sorry to hear you got a box of junk. I have been burned more times by Oriental Trading Company than I'd like to admit.

Melissa E. said...

Oriental Trading is okay for some things, but you're right in that there's a lot of junk. I don't use their incentive prizes at all. Their masks and hats were very nice (summer school art projects) but the paint was kind of cheap. I know what you mean. HOpefully they'll let you return some stuff. Good luck getting set up.