Another Productive Day!

Can I just start by saying that I heart Jill!! I know I helped her out a lot last year getting her classroom and materials ready, but technically it was my job and I was getting paid (although not very much). She has been the most wonderful help to me these past few weeks. Good friends are hard to find and she is a gem! Thanks Jill!

Today was all about getting ready for Back to School Night, cleaning up the room, organizing, getting the bus lists ready, copying letters and calendars, laminating, figuring out scheduling, trying to read the specials schedule and getting to know some of my new staffers. I had a very long conversation with the music teacher and he is so nice! Overall it was quite a productive day and I think the room is ready for kids (ready for them to come for a brief visit with their parents at least...ready for me to actually teach is another story!)

I thought I would take a chance and send out an email asking if anyone had a big book stand they weren't using and one of the third grade teachers replied saying that yes, she does have one and that I can use it this year. SCORE! I was going to use my funds from the PSO to get one, but they are not cheap, so I am really thrilled at her generosity. Now, I won't have to struggle when I do read alouds with the big books and I can have a big book work station during rotation time.

Tomorrow we an all district meeting and we get to hear about the insurance options and all that good stuff and then there is a meeting with our union and contract negotiation team. It is a lot of hard work to get that done and I don't envy anyone who is on that team. Lots of long nights and head butting over wording and any/all proposed changes. We also get some more time for training with our new math curriculum and then it's time to meet my kiddos. I now have 21 in each session and I got two IEP's today for kiddos who will both be in my AM session. I am excited to have them as part of the group and eager to speak with the Learning Specialist about meeting their needs. Hopefully those numbers will stay where they are! 21 is a good number even if the boy/girl ratios are off.

My computer battery is about to die, so I am going to head upstairs to plug in and hit the sack! I deserve a good night sleep. Hubby is heading back to Germany after a week in New York for the US Open and I am crossing my fingers that maybe his boss has decided to send him here to visit the US office (and me!)

2 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Haha, it's funny cuz I have 21 and I'm like booo I hate having an odd number! Makes partner games so much more annoying (though half the time you have one kid absent anyway I guess).

I love having students with IEPs in K. It's a fun challenge to meet their needs like you said, and it's nice that they are already on an IEP because its really hard to get kids on an IEP in K if they need it, lots of "maybe it's developmental"- you'll soon learn :) (ps. every "maybe its developmental" kid I've had is now on an IEP in 2nd or 3rd grade haha)

Sarah said...

You sound like someone who will be great with kiddos who come with IEPs... I'm sure they've landed in good hands!

And this is my first year teaching from big books after five years in the classroom! I have a stand too and I'm way excited to use it ;)