Sarah from First Grader At Last shared some of her very cute ideas for word work activities and I am really excited to try some of them with my Kindergarten kiddos. The ideas are simple, yet by using different types of materials like playdough and cookie cutters, sand, glittery letter stickers, and mini Magna-Doodles the kids will surely be excited and interested in building words. I might need to adjust the activities for Kindergartners at first, but soon enough they will be building words like pros (I can't wait). Thanks for your great ideas Sarah! I know that I will be making a trip to Michael's when I get back to OR to find some fun letter stickers! I am getting so excited for back to school supply shopping...I even picked up a few things at our local store today because Germany is ALL ABOUT school supplies.
What are you favorite activities to help kids learn sounds and make words?
And in the spirit of sharing, don't forget about Jen's Back to School Teacher Swap which will take place tomorrow. Share your great, creative, and fun back to school activities and get excited for school!


6 comments:
Thanks again Katie!! I think her ideas for Word work is great!! The novelty of glitter, playdough, etc is what makes learning fun!!! Love it!
One of my favorite sites to check for great phonics activities is carlscorner.us.com because its activities are so varied. I also like to use starfall.com on the SMARTboard with my strugglers.
I love Sarah's blog! Even though I teach third grade, I am stealing some of her ideas!
Thank you so much for the shout out! I greatly appreciate you sharing my little blog! I am very glad you found some ideas you could use--I love getting new ideas too!
I love being able to read the wonderful activities that teachers share also. I can't wait until I'm in the classroom and can share activities of my own. Here is an activitiy I have done with a kindergartener who was struggling with forming letters. I took a double seal ziplock bag and poured in about 1/4 cup of fingerpaint. after sealing the bag and spreading the paint around inside it works kind of like a magic slate. The children can draw letters using their finger or a straw, then simply smooth the paint back across the bag to erase.
I just found this cool website from a blog: I am taking this class this summer on literary elements and came across this great website you can use with any book. It gives great leading questions with a cool format for character map, conflict map, resolution map and setting map! Try it!
http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/lit-elements/
Post a Comment