Finally!

I finally spent a good amount of time in my classroom today with the help of my good friend Jill (thanks Jill, you rock!) and I am very pleased with how it looks so far. I still have lots to do, but I am feeling much better than I was when I first saw the room. Yes, it's big and there is a lot of empty wall space that needs to look inviting for the little kiddos who are getting their first taste of school, but it now looks pretty fun and inviting! If I were 5, I would feel right at home! The beach theme is not totally evident everywhere you look. In fact, if you didn't know that I intended to have a beach theme, you might not even catch it, but there are cute little touches here and there that give it a little pizazz! I don't think my room looks like the other Kinder rooms, but I am really happy with what I have chosen to do and I know I will feel happy and at home in my space. A classroom is a home away from home--in fact, we spend more time in our classrooms each day than we do in our homes--so it needs to feel just right!

What we did today:
  • retrieved all my teaching stuff from our storage unit
  • rearranged furniture to create distinct areas
  • put up paper and borders for main focus wall/calendar wall and word wall
  • hung balloon lanterns and beach banner
  • laminated
  • sorted through all the stuff that was left in the room and organized it
Some photos:

I didn't think all the stuff was going to fit in my new Yaris, but it did!

This will be the whole group instruction area. Obviously there will be some learning aids on the blue paper, but we didn't get that far today..I am thinking of dividing the large wall into a few different sections for Fast Track Phonics, Calendar, and my attendance check in pails. 

Word Wall

Close up of the pops

Storage shelves to the right of the carpet area. The rainbow buckets are empty still, but I just set them out to see how it looks. There is so much room to store things, I can't possibly fill it all up! We have TVs to go along with our Fast Track Phonics program because there is a video element.

Free choice/Play area. There are shelves on both sides of this mat with bins of materials the kids can use during choice time. I am not planning on too much choice time, but kids may get 10 minutes while I work with another small group on literacy activities and then they will switch.

I put away the containers that were in the room and sorted through the materials, getting rid of stuff I don't want. I want the kids to be able to have smaller quantities of materials to take out and to understand that they can use one box at a time. I will label both sides with a picture of what kind of material is inside. I prefer to have everything look uniform rather than in all different containers that are old and gross looking.

Kitchen area. This is on the other side of the alphabet puzzle carpet. I want to use a lot of labeling in this area and environmental print by including empty food containers/boxes. Again, they won't have a ton of time to play here, but it will be a choice when I am rotating groups and kiddos are not working with me. 

View from the alphabet puzzle mat.


I still want to make a large train that goes all along the wall to the right of where I was standing when I took this photo (ala Jessica Meacham's idea to go along with the book Freight Train), but we worked all day and just couldn't get to everything. I am really excited to get that done and I think it will be super cute. I just wish I had an overhead so I didn't have to free draw the train. I found some great pictures online that I want to copy and hopefully that will be a success.

Still to come:
  • Focus Wall/Calendar setup
  • Welcome to Kindergarten banner above whiteboard
  • Rainbow Train
  • Attendance beach pails with starfish and shells
  • Figure out beach ball lanterns (another sketchy item from Oriental Trading, yet the order was worth it just for the balloon lanterns which I LOVE)
  • Purchase a pocket chart for my daily schedule cards
  • Come Hang With Us in Kindergarten bulletin board with bathing suits and swim trunks
  • Get some type of stand for big books
  • Convince someone to give me a kidney table to replace my round table
  • And then there's trying to figure out how to teach Kindergartners as well!!!
And now, I am heading to my bed to watch Project Runway--if I don't fall asleep!

13 comments:

Karen Travels said...

I love classroom tours! I wish we could hang things from ceilings... it looks lovely! We have motion detectors and if we hang things it sets them off.

I too need a kidney bean table... we actually do not have them at our school, so I am thinking of doing a donor's chose for one!

Sarah said...

Wow! You got a lot done already :). It's look fabulous so far -- although I'm pretty jealous of the large space you have to work with!

Beth P. said...

LOVE it! It looks absolutely great so far, and I love how organized you are! That makes me happy. The pictures on the bins will be so helpful, as well as the empty containers in the kitchen! Your students are going to love you!

Courtney said...

It looks great so far. It will all come together. Have a great weekend, I am sure you will be busy.

Amy said...

It does look amazing. I would want to be in your class room.. I am stopping by from Jen's place..

Marlene McGarrity said...

First, I love your Yaris. Second I'm a teacher too and I can see you are well on your way. That classroom is looking great.

We still have two more weeks left to summer vacation.

I hope you have a great first week!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Wow your classroom looks AMAZING! I can't believe all you got done in 1 day...I have been so unproductive at school this summer! Don't worry too much about filling up the wall space, the kids will do that very quickly!

Thank you so much for the advice about behavior plans. I think you are so right that I would not be consistent with it and thats the main reason not to do it. I thought about doing the "positive" one you did too but I thought that would be even harder to keep up with like you said! Either way I don't think I'll do either, though I did like my baseball theme haha. I'll have to use it for something else fun!

Raye said...

You did a great job and it looks wonderful! One of my colleagues has stuff posted ALL over the walls and it looks very busy in her room (also 5th grade). I made the choice to leave a lot (and I mean A LOT) of blank wall space because I plan to put up anchor charts I make with my class and of course showcase their work. I love your room...can I be a kindergartner in your room :)

Jen said...

I looks bright and colorful! Perfect for your kinder kiddos!! Can't wait to see the finished product! You've got a great start!!

Kids start back on Monday for me!! I think I am finally ready! :)

Ginger Snaps said...

You better post the final product missy! I want to see! Looks awesome so far compared to what it was!!

Gladys said...

It's starting to look very beachy in there...love it!

Nicolasa @ {My}Perspective said...

This looks great! You got a lot done! I love how colorful and organized it looks!

Setting up the classroom is so much fun! I can't wait to see the final product!

Vanessa Levin @pre-kpages.com said...

Love, Love, Love the picture of your car! I can't tell you how many trips to and from school I have made with my car looking exactly like that! People probably think I am moving my kids off to college or something but nope... LOL!
Vanessa @pre-kpages.com