I decided that I definitely want to jump on the Bee bandwagon, but I came across some other fun ideas at Busy Teacher's Cafe and now I can't decide between
B.E.E.- Bring Everything Everday
and
F.I.S.H- Family Involvement Starts Here
I created some labels for both and I like the bee labels better, but I kind of like the fish acronym better. I have not yet discussed with my new teaching partners how they handle homework, but I am not quite sure I will be sending enough things home daily to merit the saying "bring everything everyday." From what I have seen, many teachers actually use binders and include a lot of different materials in them instead of simply a folder including information about particular procedures and subjects. I don't think I will be including too much stuff. I will collect the folders daily regardless of whether or not there are items to be returned/sent home, but I do want it to be an initial lesson on responsibility which means I don't want a lot of stuff in the folders that will end up crumpled, ripped, and missing.
I have always used double pocket Homework folders with my first graders and they are less expensive than purchasing binders for everyone. I am afraid regular folders won't be durable enough, so I need to do some exploring when I get back to OR. Since I have two classes, and these would be personal items, that means I have double the expense so I want to find an inexpensive solution.
I like the idea of the fish folder because I do want parents to take an active role in talking with their child about school and touching base with them daily about what they learned, what information is coming home etc. I like the idea of emphasizing family involvement and I think that gives "homework" a different feel as well. Since I only get my kiddos for just over 2 hours, I really hope they are continuing to do learning based activities at home as well. This folder could be a great way to send home "assignments" or ideas of activities students can do at home.
Do you use B.E.E folders or binders?
How do they work for you?
What do you include inside them (if anything?)
Do you think the F.I.S.H idea is just as cute?



8 comments:
Our district provides plastic two pocket with folders with the school logo on it for every student so you may want to wait and see what they do as a district. We have daily behavior charts that go home with the students every day so that is always in their folder and their parents always have to sign it and send it back.
There are other acronyms for the organizational notebook/folder. Take a peek here (this page also has printable calendars and behavior charts so you may want to check thsoe out too!).
Also I have used Nicky's Folders in the past and I love them. They now also have 4-pocket ones. They are made from that nice plastic that can withstand a lot of pushing in and out of backpacks all year. The downside is you have to order them in sets of 100 so it gets pretty expensive....but I bought a set in 2007 and STILL have some left! Not enough for a full class set but I do have about 15 left so they last a long time.
As you said, I do BEE- I have never seen the Fish one before. I like it too, but I just think "bring everything everyday" is easier for the kids than "involvement" haha. Shockingly they don't take it too literally since most kids don't have anything in it each morning when they come in. They do put it in a basket so I can check it and then I give it out at the end of the day so they can load them up with anything in their mailboxes. Between notes the school or I send home and work the kids have finished they have things to take home MOST days but not all.
I don't put anything else in my folder- its basically just a home/school communication folder and thats all. I don't leave anything in it like you were mentioning. This works for me :)
I'm leaving another comment because I was getting annoyed that my first and last (aka now middle name) were showing up earlier and I want to make sure I fixed it haha.
wahoo fixed it haha...thats for being my tester!
We do PRIDE Planners for our third graders since our school mascot is a lion. They are just 1 inch binders that have sheet protectors and dividers inside. They hold our class newsletter, send home notes, hold pencils, and and all kinds of other stuff! This is the first year I will be using them as well, but I am excited!
We do PRIDE Planners for our third graders since our school mascot is a lion. They are just 1 inch binders that have sheet protectors and dividers inside. They hold our class newsletter, send home notes, hold pencils, and and all kinds of other stuff! This is the first year I will be using them as well, but I am excited!
I used FISH binders with my 2nd and 3rd graders and I SWEAR by them! They are so effective! I hope you can find a way they can work for kindergartners too. You may want to check out this website with tons of acronyms for them and free printouts as well!
http://busyteacherscafe.com/printables/forms.html
under organizational notebooks
Post a Comment