I sketched out what I am picturing for an attendance board.
I will make two large beach pails out of construction paper on a background of blue paper, bulletin board trim from Oriental Trading that looks like waves, and yellow/brown paper for sand. Each class will have its own pail and one class will have their names on shells to put in their pail and the other class will have their names on starfish to put in their pail. I usually use little dot magnets on the backs of things like that, but I don't think I will have a large enough magnetic space, so I may use velcro. The buckets will have velcro dots on them and so will the shells and stars. Then the same side of velcro that is on the buckets will also be scattered on the bottom where I drew dots. At the beginning of the day, all of the shells/stars will be along the bottom and when the children arrive they will find the one with their name and put it in their bucket. Magnets would be preferable since then I only need the magnet on the back of the shells/stars, so here's hoping for a good space to do that.
I did some searching on the web for beach themed cutouts (particularly shells and starfish) and I came across these...
Much to my excitement, I was able to just print them out in color! The set came with snails too, but I want each class to have only one image, so I cut those out before I copied the colored images. I will write the kids' names on these cuties, laminate them, and adhere either magnets or velcro to the backs of them.
I also decided to use Popsicles for my word wall.
I realize after I printed this that the first image on the page is larger than the others, so I fixed it for when I print all of them out. I am currently out of pink ink so the printer is not allowing me to print in color anymore, but thanks to my father-in-law, I have a new HP color printer on its way that will be just for my classroom! He worked for HP for 30 years, so he helped me out with a discount. I never had access to a color printer at my old school in OR, but I did this past year and I used it a lot. I know it still costs money but somehow printing in color seems better and more convenient than paying $1.00 per page for color copies...maybe that's just me! Hopefully I have a good space where I can put up a word wall!
I am excited about these ideas and I am SO tempted to walk over to my old school (which is right down the street) and try to gain access in order to laminate! I won't do it, of course, but I am tempted! The laminating machines we had there used the laminating pouches and I found that the end product was thicker and more sturdy than the big roller laminating machines which is what my district in OR has. Too bad my friend who is still an elementary teacher there is out of town or else I might be able to convince her to do me this favor... In any event I can always pay to laminate these at Lakeshore instead of at school if I really want them to be thicker.
2 more days in Germany.... I am getting SO sad about leaving Mr. Sneaker
::sniff::
Blog love is much appreciated!!

6 comments:
I love all of your awesome beach ideas! I don't actually have a classroom theme though I've thought about it over the years. I do love having an attendance thing and I love your idea Let's "Sea" I am SO bad at creative things like that- you were obviously meant to teach K haha. I would think about (unless you did them all already haha) writing your kids first and last names on the shells. At least at my school writing and recognizing first and last name in print are standards by the end of the year and any practice you can have before they start really learning it is always helpful. There will be other opportunities if not though.
Do you and Mr. Sneaker have a plan for when you will see each other next? The distance will be tough but hopefully you'll be so busy it will make the year go by fast!
I love your beach theme ideas! Very cute and creative.
Every time I read about you being away from Mr. Sneaker, I feel sad for you. It will be an adjustment for sure!
Wowee! You have been doing a lot of thinking! Does your brain ever shut off? I already know this answer, I am just glad I am not alone!
Keep up all the hard work!
omg those popsicle letters are the cutest things EVER! I am so doing that next year!
I'm back to this post because I LOVE it so much! Did you know that if you write on laminate with permanent maker, you can erase it off after?! I learned that this year and I think it is the coolest thing ever!
Love the popsicles! How on earth did you make that huge surfer?!
Post a Comment