Divine Design

I had a lot of fun designing this blog and giving it a makeover. It was fun to learn how to do it and I was really proud of the final result. Yesterday I asked my friend Brooke if she would let me give her blog a makeover and she said yes! Brooke and I went through out master's program together, got engaged in the same month, got married three months apart, and worked at the same school for three years. Now she is about to have her first baby at the end of May (one thing we are not doing at the same time!). I am so excited to meet her little bundle of joy this summer when I go back to Oregon! She and her husband are not finding out if the baby is a boy or a girl until the birth. What a surprise, I could never wait!

Last night I worked a little bit on a new design for her blog. I just used my "play around blog" so the design in on my own blog, but as soon as she gives me the info to log into hers, I can transfer the design over. I made a family theme for now and when the baby is born, I told her I can change it up again to make it more boy or girl appropriate depending on what she has.

Take a look and let me know what you think!

I am not finished yet. I may play around with the text colors and try to get the photo to look more high quality. Blog design is so addicting! There are so many fun things to do, but I am pretty happy with the color scheme and family theme. Seems appropriate for a couple about to have their first baby!

The Mowery Family 

Also, I have talked about making a classroom blog once I get back in the classsrom so I tried out a design for that as well. I am still processing how to make it work because I would definitely want to incude photos and make it a place where parents could look to see what has been happening in the classroom, but in order to do that I feel that it would be important to make it a private blog, which is more difficult for parents. I found that when I made my blog about living in Germany private, I lost some followers (friends and family!) because they never bothered to go through the sign in process. I think a class blog could be so great, but I would not want to make any families who don't use computers feel left out. Perhaps a training session and a tour of where they can access in the info (classroom computers/library computers). Anyway, I was just playing around, but here is the link. Once I get back to OR, I would use my work email instead of the one that links to all my other blogs just so it stayed school related only. That way I can include a different "personal info" description more specific to that blog. 

Will you/did you find out the gender of your baby or keep it a surprise?
What do you think is the best gift to give a first time mother?
If you don't have kids, have you already named them?
(We have two boy names and one girl name picked out!)

5 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Katie it is awesome! You did a great job, I love the color choice and header. Very impressed!

Beth P. said...

I love it! So adorable! Nice job :-)

To answer your questions:
-We found out the gender - I don't think I could ever not find out. I mean, I like green and yellow, but not THAT much!

-My favorite gift for ME when I had my son was a gift card to get my nails done. Becoming a first time mom is no easy task, and learning to balance the time you give your child and your family as a whole is difficult and often requires giving up a little of your time for yourself. The GC sort-of forced me into taking a bit of time for myself, and it helped me feel a little prettier, which is also a downfall of first time mom syndrome.

We didn't have a name for our son until after he was born! We did have a girl name all picked out, but now that we have a boy and didn't use it, we've sort-of fell out of love with it, so we'll be starting from scratch with #2. That said, I very much liked seeing my son before naming him, so I wonder if we'll end up just doing that regardless? It is SUCH a tough decision!

itsawrap said...

I would definitely want to know the gender so I could start decorating and purchasing. The best gift for a new mom is DIAPERS or offering to baby-sit. And I don't have children but I want girls named Tatiana or Ariana (notice a theme?) Don't know about boys names though.

Sarah said...

A couple things:

1) I've been enjoying your blog! I love how you designed it and wished I knew what I was doing to get a more personal and teachery feel.

2) It's so great that you teach overseas! I went to an international high school in Germany and always felt so appreciative of my teachers who left families and homes to give me a quality education :)

3) No kids yet, but I'll definitely be finding out if it's a boy or girl as soon as I can... I'm a planner.

4) Have you heard of nameberry.com? I could loose hours pouring over their fun lists of baby names!

Kelly said...

The blogs you designed look great! I'm so excited for you to teach K and have a blog I can read. I actually have a "blog/website" for my class, I'll e-mail you the link at some point for some ideas. I e-mail the parents a newsletter once a week so I don't update my website too often but just to get you started.

On another note, I will definitely find out the gender of my kid. I could never wait and I want to be able to buy stuff and plan, just my personality :) Don't know names yet!